Logic Pro 9 Anyone able to "max out" Logic's ram?

daveyboy

Logician
I seem to always hit the ram ceiling at about 2 gbs of actual memory used, even after switching to L9.1 and experimenting with 64 bit mode. Right now I'm stuck in 32 as I'm using BFD2. So today I had my activiity monitor open while I worked just to see how far I could push things and, it wasn't much. I ot to a little over 2 gbs and then Logic quit. I'm just curious who here is able to get 3 or more of actual ram usage in Logic in either 32 or 64 bit mode and if so are you running many if any 3rd party plugins or vis? The session today had BFD2, Play (2 instance), Omnisphere (1 instrument), Kontakt 4 (1 instrument) and assorted audio tracks with plugins and guitar rig 4. The cpu hit is nothing. Just the ram continues to be the issue. Thanks!

this is a known issue.

Using Vienna Ensemble pro would be a very good workaround to run more ram intensive instruments through logic.
It's been a life saver for me.

P.

Upvote 0
So is 2 gbs about the max for most people, or, are others just not taxing Logic that hard? I'd be curious to here of anyone getting up to 3 or above but, maybe it's just not possible.:brkwl:

Upvote 0
the reason why you're maxing out at such a low number of actual ram is because Logic uses a combination of actual ram and virtual memory. 4GB is the limit on a 32-bit system no matter what program you use. so if you look at your activity monitor you'll notice that if your ram is at 2-3GB your virtual memory will be be at 1-2GB. this is why 64-bit is so important because the memory limit is like 17billionGB or something like that....in other words, no cap. we definitely want to email all our plugin companies we use and tell them to hurry up and get on the 64-bit bandwagon before we get off there's. ;)

Upvote 0
the reason why you're maxing out at such a low number of actual ram is because Logic uses a combination of actual ram and virtual memory. 4GB is the limit on a 32-bit system no matter what program you use. so if you look at your activity monitor you'll notice that if your ram is at 2-3GB your virtual memory will be be at 1-2GB. this is why 64-bit is so important because the memory limit is like 17billionGB or something like that....in other words, no cap. we definitely want to email all our plugin companies we use and tell them to hurry up and get on the 64-bit bandwagon before we get off there's. ;)
Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh.........OK, so, what you're saying is, "memory is memory, whether it's real or virtual." So, if the real and the virtual add up to 4 gbs then logic is done. It just seems to fill up rather fast is all (correct me if I'm misunderstanding you:errr: of course).

Upvote 0
Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh.........OK, so, what you're saying is, "memory is memory, whether it's real or virtual." So, if the real and the virtual add up to 4 gbs then logic is done. It just seems to fill up rather fast is all (correct me if I'm misunderstanding you:errr: of course).

well i don't want to go too far beyond what i know with the particulars of memory vs. virtual memory...but the bottom line is in this case what you're saying is correct. i agree with you that i think it fills up pretty fast ever since my update to Logic 9. the same projects in Logic 8 never give me a Memory Low Warning like they do in Logic 9.

Upvote 0
A few things:
Make sure you are using Kontakt's memory server.
Make sure that you download the new beta versions of Omnishpere and Trillian.
That makes all the difference.
Lee Curreri

Upvote 0
Back