Logic Pro 9 Changing time signature in mid stream

marksealey

Logician
I have a short (20 bars or so) melody written in the Score Editor with time (not key, as in post's title, sorry) signature 4/4.

[ADMIN NOTE: title edited]

I realize now it should actually be 6/4. I want to alter all my half notes to dotted half notes accordingly.

If I change the time signatures, Logic (quite correctly) moves my bar lines so that there are three half notes in each measure.

Is there an automated/global way to change half notes to dotted half notes and so keep my existing measures, please?

TIA!

I don't think there's an easy automatic way.

EDIT:I just noticed I misread your post, I originally thought the time sig was changing after the start.

Select all the regions and drag them while holding alt to be 50% longer.

You will need to reposition any that start after bar 1, if there are many, then what I would do is extend them earlier so they all start at bar 1

Or else add an empty region at bar 1 (for any tracks that have no regions starting there) before merging

Then stretch them as above.

Upvote 0
Is there an automated/global way to change half notes to dotted half notes and so keep my existing measures, please?
TIA!

One thing you can do to lengthen notes directly in the score editor is use the nudge length command called "nudge region/event length right by nudge value". My key command (and I believe it's the default, but can't remember for sure) is Option + Shift + Right arrow.

So, select all your half notes in the score editor by shift clicking them; or rubber band select if they are all in a row, and then apply the key command as many times as necessary, depending on what you have your nudge value set to.

I find it most useful to generally leave my nudge value set to sixteenth notes. So, you would need to hit the command four times to add the length you want. I of course often have to switch my nudge value for other reasons, but 1/16ths are my usual default.

HTH....

Upvote 0
Thanks, Eli and Pete.

Incidentally, I can't immediately see a way to insert a single measure/bar in the Score Editor at a position I want. Is there one?

Upvote 0
I can't immediately see a way to insert a single measure/bar in the Score Editor at a position I want. Is there one?

Not that I know of. I think you need to do it in the Arrange Window. If you've got some score formatting that you don't want to lose, it might be a bit tricky. You could try using the Region --> Cut/Insert Time functions. But I suspect you may be best off dragging your right boundary in the arrange, and then carefully selecting all following events in the score editor (from the end point of where you want space added) and dragging them manually to the right.

Upvote 0
This is a big reminder to all of us how much the score needs some improving.

A nice feature would be insert time without dividing regions. A good thing about about the insert/snip way of doing it (as opposed to moving events in the score) is that global stuff like time sigs, tempo changes, double bar lines etc also get moved. These things get left behind if you just move everything in the score. Or if there are events in the regions that are invisible in the score such as CCs, they get left behind if you just move the events you can actually see in the score.

Upvote 0
Pete,

You're of course right. The reason I suggested moving rather than dividing in the Arrange, is because I personally HATE when you've done manual formatting with the layout tool (forcing certain measures onto next or previous systems) it gets completely undone when a region gets divided (or merged - even worse!) in the Arrange Window.

I guess I need to change my workflow :) I always try to wait as long as I can to do manual formatting with the layout tool. But invariably, I always seem to end up making some change after wards that totally messes it up, usually merging some new material with old :mad:

So yeah, in hindsight, Mark probably is better off doing it the "legal" way ;) by means of the snip and insert commands.

Upvote 0
Beats me.......

And I don't think anyone knows what any of Apple's plans for Logic development are. Beta testers and insiders are sworn to secrecy by blood oath. :D

Upvote 0
You could use the transformer set up like the photo. I guessed at the "inside" setting, but that range could be adjusted. It should have some variance if you played the part(s). If you manually added the notes, they should all be the same length. I unchecked the box in the lower left corner to access more parameters than originally shown in the preset.

Screen shot 2011-01-23 at 10.00.jpg

Upvote 0
Back