Logic Pro (X) I want MIDI data to trigger LPX virtual instruments

I am a beginner to Logic.

I am trying to understand components of this DAW to load and separate MIDI from a sequencer in a Korg T3.

Yes I know it's old.

I have managed to get a MIDI track downloaded and separated out into what were separate tracks in the KORG(8 channel sequencer).

I need an assist as to where I can find the information to change the MIDI data into software instruments so I can hear the musical information/song to be able to use it in Logic.

I appreciate the help.

I am using RME FF400, Logic 10.2.1, Korg EX T3...2012 Mac mini I5 2.5 w/16GB RAM.

It sounds like you've recorded MIDI from your Korg to an External MIDI track in Logic with resulting MIDI data on those tracks.

If that's the case, all you need to do is create Software Instrument (SI) Tracks, insert a software instrument per track, ( making a selection from the Patch Library couldn't be easier), then drag each MIDI region from the External MIDI tracks to the SI tracks. If you want to keep the original MIDI date on the Ext. MIDI tracks, then option-drag to make copies.

Now your MIDI data will trigger sounds in Logic.

If it would help, I can post an image this evening.

Side note: My Tx81Z still gets used from time to time.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your help. If you have a picture/s, that can help. The 81Z has that Jeff Berlin bass patch(which I borrowed a few times...heh).

Is there any other way to audition the software instrument, or is the option/drag the best route ?

Upvote 0
The short story...

First attachment:
There are 4 External MIDI tracks with MIDI regions.
The Software Instruments were created by clicking the plus symbol.
The MIIDI regions were then dragged (or option-dragged) to the SI tracks.

Second attachment:
Make a SI track active by selecting it. In the image, the Round Bass track is active.
Click on the letter 'Y' on your computer keyboard to open the Library.
I've selected a Synthesizer category>Bass>80s FM Bass. Each patch that I select (Analog Bass Twister, Big Saw Bass, etc) will be auditioned (triggered by the MIDI region on the SI track).
The selected patch is entered into the Channel Strip Settings pop-up.

Have fun with this!

Attachments

• Drag.png
    Drag.png
    241 KB · Views: 190
  • Library.png
    Library.png
    255.3 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 0
You're welcome!

If you're going to be transferring over a number of songs from your Korg, you can create Logic project template with the required number of External MIDI tracks and blank SI tracks ready to go. Logic File menu>Save as Template. Start with the template, then Save as the song title.

Upvote 0
As a matter of fact, I have a small library of stuff that needs to be moved. I will try to set up the template. I have Kevin Anker's volume on Logic to assist (LPX Power !). Sometimes you cannot find the operational instructions without a familiarity with the language to describe the function(Old Cubase 4.0 guy). I had a stroke since last using Cubase, so I am starting anew with LPX. Thanks for pointing me in the direction I need to go.

Upvote 0
As a matter of fact, I have a small library of stuff that needs to be moved. I will try to set up the template. I have Kevin Anker's volume on Logic to assist (LPX Power !). Sometimes you cannot find the operational instructions without a familiarity with the language to describe the function(Old Cubase 4.0 guy). I had a stroke since last using Cubase, so I am starting anew with LPX. Thanks for pointing me in the direction I need to go.
Your perspective is spot on! Many times this point is missed by new users of Logic coming from other DAW.
Ask more questions as you dig deeper into Logic.
Be well.

Upvote 0
Back