Is Apogee Symphony 32 working for anyone in Lion?

daveyboy

Logician
I first tried updating my system to 10.6.8 back when it came out only to find out on my own that the symphony 32 does not work. So yesterday I was smart and cloned my drive and then updated it, hoping against hope that it might "magically work" as I wanted to be able to run a logic 9.1.6. Of course it still didn't. Then, I spent the money and upgraded the system to Lion knowing once again this was a crap shoot, which it was. So now I'm pricing out symphony 64 cards (which apparently still don't work but will soon) and will call Apogee to see if one can get a killer deal somehow. I was just curious of anyone has had any luck running the symphony 32 setup and if so what they did to make it work. The only thing I could do is to take the optical outputs of the ad16x and go into my 2408 and then into logic, bypassing the apogee driver entirely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I have to tell you: if it's not on the supported upgrade/update list at Apogee, why would you do it? that would be like asking someone to run Logic on an iPad: ain't gonna happen. No dreaming is going to make it happen either, at least not today.

Bets thing I can think to say: DOH!

So since you troubleshoot for a living you never try "unsupported" things in hopes you'll discover a work around? I do and many times I do learn something others haven't discovered:) I knew it wouldn't work in 10.6.8 from my own past experience and then tried Lion anyway. At this point I can move forward unless soneone else here has some undocumented fix.

Hi Dave,

Yes I have to use unsupported stuff and betas as my "job" requires it, but I never would use something like this on my main system that is for work. I am fortunate to have a number of systems available to test with, and if one breaks, I'm not put in a situation where I have lost my ability to work.

Take that info and the very clear statements on the front of the Apogee website...

Taking a chance that something might work is fine, taking a chance when the company responsible for making the hardware drivers is saying not to due to a major change in the way an OS works, and causing oneself to be unable to work without doing a major reinstall of their system is a touch foolish, wouldn't you say?

IF I was going to try what you did, I would suggest making a duplicate of my main system disc, boot off that drive, and then play. That way if something breaks, your covered.

So yes I take chances, and yes I do whatever I can to make sure it doesn't get me in the end.

Hi Dave,

IF I was going to try what you did, I would suggest making a duplicate of my main system disc, boot off that drive, and then play. That way if something breaks, your covered.

So yes I take chances, and yes I do whatever I can to make sure it doesn't get me in the end.

That's exactly what I did. Now I'm just asking if anybody (else) might have succeeded where I failed. By the way, we know each other and have chatted on the phone a few times so I know what a pro you are. Please give me the same consideration:)

Dave, Yes I know who you are, and I am not being disrespectful. I am pointing out the fact that Apogee has made it very clear on their website that the Symphony system doesn't work on Lion. It is right there in very clear RED text.

the tone of the first post was more of the "help I'm screwed" style, and I replied to that based on the red lettering at Apogee (who I have to admit have had driver errors).

The main thing I was getting at is simple: don't upgrade drivers or anything for your main work system until you know that you are covered.

And that leads me to my final question: if you have a 10.6.7 system, why not revert back and be done with the whole thing?

No lack or respect meant, just a bit of questioning about ignoring the big red letters on a manufacturers support area saying that it won't work, and ignoring them.

Its meant more for the newbies here in the end, and a reminder to all of us as to what good practices are regarding updating and even more important: not ignoring warning on a manufacturer support site.

If I has a dollar for every time I had a call about this type of thing over the last 30 years... well, I could take a very nice vacation.

And if I could have the hours back from the times I didn't follow that very advice, I could have had the extra time I would have needed to take that vacation ;-)

No offense meant.

I came up with a workaround on being able to use my Symphony 32 and Lion today. BTW, Lion has been "sleeping" since I installed it last year up until yesterday. In Logic I choose Symphony as my input device and am using my Motu pci 424 as the output device. The 424 is what connects things to a Mackie D8B mixing console so it's already in use as the Apogee AD16x is going into one 2408 normally. I also knew that the motu drivers/hardware worked in Lion with Logic, which is what I setup yesterday. But, today I wanted to record without doing a bunch of lightpipe patching, etc. So, I tried it and it works fine. No digital weirdness! This will at least postpone me from having to spend more $ which is great right now (thanks economy...).

I note these posts are old. I purchased a Mac Pro 2.26 8 Core in early 2010 with an Apogee Symphony 64 system, along with a whole bunch of other 'State of the Art' equipment. I did the Firmware update to the Apogees, which was a pain in the ass and not a smart thing to have users removing the top panel of the units to fit a MIDI cable, etc.

Then I had an accident which has put me out until now. I have looked on the Web for information but it's a maze.

I find information about the Firmware update but is that the original update that I did in 2010 or is there a new one require for Lion? If so, does that require the same procedure of removing the chassis lid, connecting a MIDI cable, etc?

I can't find this information anywhere else. Fundamentally, what software/Firmware updates are required and recommended to bring a 2010 purchase (Apogee AD/DA 16X, Mac Pro 2.26 8 Core, Symphony 64 Card and Maestro) into 2012?

Simon Binks
Mac Pro 8 Core, 20 Gig RAM, Apogee Symphony 64 System, AD16X, DA16X, Apogee Symphony 64 PCIe Card, 2 x WD Velociraptor striped as RAID 0 for audio files, Waves Platinum (latest), CLA, Eric Kramer TTT, Hi-Q, Aural Exciter, etc, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2, NI Komplete Ultimate 8, Neuman U87, Mohave, Rhode, etc mics, UA 6176 pre, Avalon Pre, AMT 8, etc

Thanks George. What a pain in the ass to have to reinstall all critical software after the Lion update. Logic alone is a major install, then there's NI Komplete Ultimate, which is massive with an ongoing list of updates I'm still installing.

Then there are all the Waves, Toontrack, Spectasonic, and that's just audio apps.

Seriously considering staying on Snow Leopard. Is there any advantage for Logic in Lion?

Thanks again George.
Simon

The other problem is that I am in Australia. There is no reliable Apogee service centre here which means an international telephone call. Not the end of the world, just a pain as I will have to wait until the middle of the night.

There is not a new firmware update. I just made the move to the 64 card and Lion with no hiccups. But as always, do it on a cloned system just in case. I'm enjoying Lion overall.

That helps.Thanks Dave. The only thing I notice about Lion is one thing I hate - not being able to bounce junk mail back to where it came from.

Hi Simon,

Lion VS Snow Leopard.... either work. I have Lion on my systems, the major issue being graphics slow down, which can be slightly made faster by a terminal command.

Back