Logic Pro 9 Logic 9 and Pro Tools compatibility

hbonly

Logician
I have recorded a song using Logic 9 on my MAC. Now I have a drummer who has Pro Tools and I want him to lay his drum tracks on my project. Are they compatible? Is there anything special I need to do to get him my files before sending?

I have recorded a song using Logic 9 on my MAC. Now I have a drummer who has Pro Tools and I want him to lay his drum tracks on my project. Are they compatible?

No

Is there anything special I need to do to get him my files before sending?

Yes, export each track as a consolidated audio file starting at bar one so that he can import them all into Pro Tools at the same position.

Upvote 0
No, their not compatible? If I export as .wav files, then bring them back into Logic 9 after he is done laying drum tracks, will I get my midi data back? Or am I importing all files as .wavs?

Upvote 0
No, their not compatible? If I export as .wav files, then bring them back into Logic 9 after he is done laying drum tracks, will I get my midi data back? Or am I importing all files as .wavs?

You're asking a bunch of different questions here:

1. First you asked "are they compatible?". Given the context, I thought you were asking if Logic projects and Pro Tools sessions were compatible. The answer is no.

2. You ask: If I export as .wav files, then bring them back into Logic 9 after he is done laying drum tracks, will I get my midi data back?

What MIDI data are you talking about? There is no MIDI data involved with importing/exporting wav files. If you want to move MIDI data between Logic projects and Pro Tools sessions, yes you can do that. But it's got nothing to do with importing/exporting wav files. Use the the standard MIDI file import/export options in both Logic and Pro Tools to move MIDI data between them.

3. You ask: Or am I importing all files as .wavs?

I dunno' :confused: Are you importing _what_ as wavs? If you are talking about audio drum file recordings, then yes you are working with wavs. If you are talking about MIDI data, then no you're not.

Your questions are just vague enough to be confusing. You didn't mention anything about MIDI in your original question. Come to think of it, you didn't specifically mention audio either. "Drum Tracks" could mean either in this day and age of electronic drum kits. I assumed you meant audio. Perhaps that was an error on my part.

Upvote 0
hbonly, your best bet is to export .wav files (as Eli said, starting from bar 1) of everything your drummer needs to play to, and let him know the tempo. When the drummer has recorded tracks and sends them to you, import them back into your Logic song onto new audio tracks and continue mixing from there. I just did this myself, and it worked beautifully.

Upvote 0
this could have been discussed in previous historic debates about compatibility but, where does OMF fit in this as a possibility? OMF version 2.0 indicates that dynamics/panning are preserved, as well as the tracks and regions themselves, but haven't seen that working well in Logic to Logic (testing purposes only!!), and even Logic to Adobe Audition.

Is OMF's implementation far overrated at this point?

Upvote 0
Is OMF's implementation far overrated at this point?

Yes.

But in all seriousness, for the purposes the OP has described, exporting .wavs and importing the drum tracks back into Logic is the way to go. OMFs are way too flaky to rely on for such a thing, and as the drummer won't be mixing the final in his system, the finessing of pans and levels is far beyond what's required for drum tracking.

Upvote 0
OMF between Logic and Protools is a joke, to put it mildly. I once had a client insist we do an OMF thing, and while I was able to take his OMF files and open them in Nuendo, Logic never worked, and when I opened them in Nuendo, I just reprinted the audio as a single file starting at Bar 1 beat 1 for all the tracks, and then opened them in Logic to complete the work I needed to do ( a mix).

The ONLY reason I went to this way (Protools OMF conversion) was because my client INSISTED. today I'd tell then to do the bar 1 beat 1 thing, or to send me the PT session and I would do it on my PT LA system.

Great idea, OMF. Never worked though, at least not between most apps.

Upvote 0
This brings up a couple more questions, all in light of interoperability.
OMF seems better in the latest version of Logic. At least the OMF export, when imported back into Logic or Audition, preserved all regions' time alignment. It did lose all dynamic information, however (panning included.)
Certainly, this outcome is much better than what George describes.
My subsequent question is then, does Logic have the ability to bounce individual tracks (either all existent in current project or user selected) as mono wave files, where one could specify the starting and ending time? This would make what you all are proposing much easier on a larger project.

thanks!

Upvote 0
There is an export all tracks as audio files command right under the main file menu. It automatically exports each track as a single file starting at the first bar. Mono or stereo is track dependent (I think) and the format (wav or aiff) is probably determined by what you have set in your Logic prefs.

So, it can all be done in one step. Start the export, get a coffee, come back and it's done. Name your tracks first, and all your audio files will be named accordingly. I seem to recall that it may add a .1 suffix onto the end of each new file name, but I don't have Logic open in front of me to check at the moment.

Upvote 0
This has become one of those "RTFM" moments... Look up "Export: bounce track" and you should find all the info you need.

A few suggestions: make sure you bounce to a new folder, makes moving the session to a new DAW much easier. Second, make sure you name things properly, and I would also suggest numbering each track. That way when imported they will be in the correct order. Third: open a new blank Logic session, and drag and drop your newly exported files onto it to verify that everything bounced as expected and that you are not missing anything.

Upvote 0
Back