Logic Pro 9 Logic Pro 9 Doesn't Recognize Midi Plug Ins On An External Hard Drive

SaxMan

Logician
Hi, I am a PC user, just bought a mac!!!
Macbook Pro 15" 2.0 GHZ 8GB Ram

And I installed logic pro 9.
Installed Toontrak Superior Drummer on my mac disk and it works perfectly, but when I installed Synthogy Ivory 1.5 on an EXTERNAL hard drive, Logic didn't recognize it or anything.
What do you think the problem is?
:brkwl:

I don't think you got me. Those plug ins have nothing to do with audio they are MIDI plug ins and one of them is working for me, but they are supposed to work from an external hard drive as well, but they dont work for me from an external hard drive from some reason.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but your description is not clear: WHAT are you describing as a "virtual instrument"? The ONLY plugins Logic do support are AudioUnits, which HAVE to be installed on the system volume (I am not counting symbolic-link tricks). And no, Logic does NOT support MIDI plugins. Something in your description doesn't add up.

Why do you think it is a Logic problem to begin with? If one thing works and the other does not, it sounds like the problem is outside of Logic.

Upvote 0
MIDI plug-ins = arpegiators and the likes. They do not generate any sound. You can use them in certain hosts like Sonar and Cubase. Not in Logic.

Virtual Instruments: Like EzDrummer and Ivory. Basically sound modules which play back midi tracks. They exist in a variety of formats - RTAS, Audio Unit, VSTi.

Logic only support the Audio Unit format. And Logic needs your Audio Unit plug-ins to be installed on the system drive.

So, first make sure that your plug-in is Audio Unit (VST won't work, no matter where you install it) and make sure you install them on the system drive.

Upvote 0
To add to what Rain said above:
Your Audio Units are usually installed here:
Macintosh HD (ie your boot drive)/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

Certain Audio Units come with huge libraries and if you prefer (and if it is possible), these library files can be kept on external drives, but they must be referred to via an alias (or "shortcut" in PC-speak) in the correct location. This is the case with Spectrasonics AU's for example and several others.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Yes, Ivory can be a pain...

Q: Can you use the stand alone version of Ivory in your applications folder properly?

If yes, try and reinstall Ivory and make sure you have the Audio Unit version selected as an install option (or download the AU installer... I can't remember if it needs a separate installer or not). Open Logic, create an audio instrument track, and instanciate Ivory, you should be good to go.

If no, did you follow the installation process correctly? There is a part where you need to verify the files used by Ivory. You also have to be sure you have selected the correct folder when you make the alias for Ivory to be able to see the library correctly.

I have had issues with the installation, and found that I had to read the instructions a couple of times to "get" what they are saying.

As to some of the other replies: YES you can have the audio samples/library portion of an audio unit installed on an external drive... BUT the AU has to be installed on the system disc in the components folder

Again, I can't say enough how important it is to read the manual and verify the piano components with their little app. If not, it will not work.

Upvote 0
Back