Logic TDM Logic TDM Expectations

midnightsun

Logician
Years ago I went from strictly analog to RADAR and then moved on to a DAW with Logic Pro. It was a bit of a struggle for me to learn Logic Pro but I got to the point where I was comfortable and enjoyed many of the features. For a number of reasons I moved over to PTHD3/hybrid analog console setup and haven't used LP much. There are some features of LP that I miss.

I have all of my PCIe slots on my G5 filled with Digi cards (PTHD3), I have 2 Aurora 16s going into the Digi cards so all of my I/O has to go through the Digi cards. I prefer mixing with PT on a D Command/utilizing an analog console for summing and inserting analog outboard gear. I prefer the soft synths of Logic and composing with Logic.

Thus far, with the help of members of this forum I have been able to Logic up and running using Digi core audio so that I can go through my Aurora converters. I am still struggling and can't seem to figure out how to use my TDM plugins in Logic. I have reinstalled Logic Pro 8 and at least I am no longer getting the message that ESB and EXS24 can't be found. I think that I am on the right track, but I am beginning to think that all of this work may not be worth the trouble.

I am wondering how feasible it is to start a project in Logic using the soft synths and then importing the project into PT. I presume that the work flow would require that the Logic Midi tracks be committed and converted to audio files, that could then be exported to PT. Anybody with a work flow sort of like this?

I'm not a TDM user, but here are a couple of thoughts:

* Yes, MIDI will need to be rendered as audio in order to be transferred.

* Logic 9 has a great new "bounce in place" feature which is exactly suited to the task of rendering short MIDI regions of software instrument tracks to audio. The bounce in place feature can also be applied to entire tracks with options to include/exclude plug ins, automation, etc. So, it give you really good flexibility.

* Both Logic 8 and 9 have excellent "export tracks as audio" features for quickly rendering each your tracks to one long continuous audio file; which makes importing and placing them in PT a snap.

* Logic can output files as OMF. Used in conjunction with the bounce in place feature, this would save you having to render each of your tracks as an audio file. If you have OMF import capabilities in your version of PT, this could be a potential solution as well.

Upvote 0
I am wondering how feasible it is to start a project in Logic using the soft synths and then importing the project into PT. I presume that the work flow would require that the Logic Midi tracks be committed and converted to audio files, that could then be exported to PT. Anybody with a work flow sort of like this?

I think it depends what kind of work you do. I do soundtrack work and have to prepare and mix perhaps sixty cues over the course of two days. Having to export each project from Logic and then importing into Pro Tools would take far too much time.

If you are however doing songs (for CD etc) and can spend a a day or more on each, then the Logic export, PT import option is very feasible and also very common. The nice thing about rendering all the soft synths, external synths etc onto pro tools tracks is that the session becomes very portable. You can send it easily to any mixer and they can start working on it without having any of your plugins. Another advantage is that it'll be much easier to open your projects in a few years time, as you'r not relying on having the need plugin instruments installed.

Upvote 0
Since I am still running a G5 I can see the advantage of having fast TDM plugins within the Logic platform. It is not clear to me how those of you who are running Intel Mac Pros get much benefit from TDM other than taking advantage of TDM software that you have already purchased. What are your biggest benefits from the Logic/ProTools marriage? What are your biggest nightmares from the Logic/ProTools marriage?

Upvote 0
What are your biggest benefits from the Logic/ProTools marriage? What are your biggest nightmares from the Logic/ProTools marriage?
Processing power is not an issue anymore these days, I haven't run out of CPU power in a very long time. So, the advantages when using a Logic TDM system on a fast Intel Mac are (at least for me):

1.You can share the same hardware for both Pro Tools and Logic, if you work on both platforms.

2. I can turn off Core Audio and just leave DAE going which turns the rig into a quasi tape machine, where sessions load instantly. Great for sessions with loads of different tracks and pieces to record.

3. Near zero latency.

Disadvantages are well documented:

1. If you are new to Logic TDM it can be tricky to set up, and only certain combinations of OS, Logic and PT versions work well.

2. No plugin delay compensation of Logic DAE tracks.

3. Slightly awkward routing and sometimes slightly buggy behaviour of the TDM audio mixer

4. not all Logic features are available on the DAE tracks

5. ESB (DTDM) can be unstable

6. If you use Core Audio and DAE at the same time there is a slight discrepancy (up to 1.5ms, at 44k and 128 buffer) of timing between the two engines, which varies slightly ever every time you press play!

Upvote 0
Hi Midnight,
I kind of gave up on TDM and Logic, so my silly work around it to run Logic as a quasi Rewire software unit into PT. I send timecode using IAC bus, and monitor through the optical in of my 192 hardware. Logic outputting audio out the Mac's optical out.
that way I can keep synths and stuff available before committing them to audio.
Once its all finalized in L9 I bounce in place and export an OMF, then I import that into PT and mix away.
Hope this helps
Good Luck
Ciao
Gio

Upvote 0
first install all your plugins properly so that they show up in your plugins alias list in your logic folder. then select them in your channel strip under inserts. cheers.

Upvote 0
Back