MacBook Pro 2014 good enough?

GanthetB

Hi all,
I'm considering selling my 2010 iMac and moving to a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina. I am running Logic Pro X currently and Komplete 9 along with Amplitube 3. I mostly record guitars and use virtual amps from Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitube 3. I'd venture to say that a typical song for me would have about 10 tracks with most of them being virtual synths and drums but only 3 or 4 audio tracks with guitar.

What kind of performance can I expect if I get a MacBook Pro with the following specs (I will be recording to the internal SSD drive and then offloading completed projects to external storage when complete)

• 2.3 GHz quad-core i7
  • 16 GB ram
  • 1 TB flash drive
  • 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT750m

Also, if I went with an external drive for audio tracks would UBS 3.0 suffice or do I need to go thunderbolt?

I have been using a very similar MBP to yours, the only difference is, mine has a 2.6 GHz CPU. The performance is IMO spectacular - about 50% faster than my old 8 core Mac Pro which never flinched at anything I threw at it, including band projects running some 80 tracks of double sample rate audio, lots of Audio Units etc.

USB 3 should be fine for audio, you may want to look at an expansion such as the Belkin TB Hub, one criticism I have of the Notebook is the lack of expansion with only 2 USB slots, no FW, ethernet, S-ATA etc.

kind regards

Mark

Back