Logic Pro 9 Multiple Midi Input in L9?

Could anyone with Logic Studio 9 tell me if they've added an easy Multiple Midi Input feature?

I'm not sure what you mean. Nothing has changed, but it's never been difficult to input from multiple MIDI devices at once. Logic could always receive input from multiple MIDI devices at once. If you want each device to record to a seperate track, be sure to check "Auto Demix by Channel" in the record settings.

Is there some feature you're specifically missing?

Orren

Upvote 0
In particular this situation:

Musician 1 is playing a set of drum pads that output on a separate channel per pad (yes, I have good reasons to do this), and should record on a track that is routed to a multitimbral drum sampler.

Musician 2 is playing a keyboard with a multi-zone split, an arpeggiator and sequenced backing, all outputting as a different channel per zone/arp/sequence, which should also record on a track that is routed to a multitimbral synth.

Each user should be free to range across all 16 channels for their selected output multi.

Nope. Can't do that in Logic.

My suggestion some years ago was that MIDI tracks should also have an "input" selector, which could either take input from "sequencer input" (ie the default environment route, so existing songs won't break), or directly from "Port X". Choosing "Port X" should not block that port at the Physical Input however, so the user still has full environment control (ie Port X will still show up in the sequencer input, unless the user blocks it manually in the environment).

Sigh.

Upvote 0
Orren: You call auto-demix "not difficult"??? Assuming you can pare everything down to just 16 channels, try managing auto-demix when you are also recording multiple audio tracks and need to select various tracks on the fly to see what's going on. Way to blow a take...

Upvote 0
Orren: You call auto-demix "not difficult"???

What I said was it hasn't been difficult to input MIDI from multiple devices. There's a difference between "not difficult to configure" and "usable in a given situation."

Assuming you can pare everything down to just 16 channels, try managing auto-demix when you are also recording multiple audio tracks and need to select various tracks on the fly to see what's going on. Way to blow a take...

I have never tried to do that, nor would I ever. I'm sure it's a bitch. But that's not what I was suggesting. The original poster offered no information as to what he was doing. Just asking if there is a "multiple input feature." Well, there is. There is no indication that the original poster wants to do what you want to do to do, or finds the lack of the available workflow, or 16 MIDI channel limitation an issue.

For all we know, he has a single MIDI keyboard with one MIDI channel active, a second MIDI keyboard with another channel active, and wants to use both at the same time. He asks for an "easy" feature; that could very simply mean that the he didn't know how to use the current facility. It's simple, but it's not well documented. And until he is clear as to exactly what he wants to do, there is no indication that what is already in Logic 9 won't do it for him.

OTOH, I'm sure Logic will not currently, nor may it ever, fill your advanced, extensive, and specific Multi-Input needs without serious workarounds. Then again, I don't know what other application could serve your specific application better than Logic, either, because as you point out, I've never done that. Sounds pretty fun to have a full MIDI band rocking out, however, if you can get it all going! :)

Orren

Upvote 0
This discussion does point out two glaring lacks in Logic's multi-recording:

1. Selecting a track should not record-enable it. I've been requesting this from Apple for years. This is essential for being able to check track settings (Info pane) of other tracks while recording.

2. You should be able to select an input source (MIDI device and channel) for any MIDI track.

mk3

Upvote 0

1. Selecting a track should not record-enable it. I've been requesting this from Apple for years. This is essential for being able to check track settings (Info pane) of other tracks while recording.

2. You should be able to select an input source (MIDI device and channel) for any MIDI track.

mk3

I can see many situations where both your functional requirements would prove fantastically useful particularly point 1. I do wonder if the programming complexity and/or processing requirements for them are simply too great...

Tony

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by mk3

mk3
I Agree 1,000 Percent with mk3. One of the primary reasons I still use Digital Performer 6 is because of those very points. These seem like basic features to implement. It would take Logic to an entirely different functionality level IMHO. Until then, I'll just continue to use both for it's most warranted features. ---- Reub.

Upvote 0
As a long time Pro Tools user, this is a must! I hope they add this feature by Logic 10. I really like logic, but this really kills my workflow. :brkwl:

Upvote 0
As a long time Pro Tools user, this is a must! I hope they add this feature by Logic 10. I really like logic, but this really kills my workflow. :brkwl:

Even Digital Performer has had that feature forever. It's one of the few features that I miss about DP (the others are: MIDI plug-ins, especially the arpeggiator; and pitch automation).

mk3

Upvote 0
And I also throughly agree. We get the Environment with total cabling freedom and then inexplicably all midi input has to go through the Sequencer Input object to be recorded into the tracks. Audio does it right, so why not midi?

Upvote 0
Clearly, LP9 was focused on adding most of the audio stuff folks were asking for. Hopefully, now Apple can turn its attention to MIDI.

Upvote 0
Multiple Inputs

Anyone get the Multiple MIDI input working in Logic Pro or Express version 8 :confused:

I have jus joined the Logic community and have previously used both Reason 3 and Live 6/7, in both these DAWS I could map the individual ports from my Yamaha 01x to different tracks/instruments :brkwl: .

I have plugged a Yamaha MIDI keyboard into MIDI A and a Roland MIDI keyboard into MIDI B and would like to map to different instruments to play at the same time.

I wanted to try Logic as I wanted to jus use one DAW and it was a choice between Cubase and Logic.

Is this functionality available in Logic Pro 8 :confused:

Cheers

Regards,
David

Upvote 0
Back