Logic Pro 9 New macpro? Hex core

Rube740

I saw in apple rumors that apple is about to update the mac pro with a hexacore. 6 cores in one computer, wow! Would logic 9 even use all those cores? If someone can answer that question it'll be great! Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Logic 8 and 9 can already make use of 8 cores, which have been available since 2007 in the last three generations of the Mac Pro.

regards

Mark

Upvote 0
The current computers are dual quad-core. I guess the new computers will be offered in a dual 6-core version (= 12 cor computers), which could boost the performance by circa 50% compared with the current 8-cores. But: Logics 8-core support is great, but not all processes use all cores. Most do.

Upvote 0
Apart from some people at Apple there is no one that can tell you this at the moment. So you'll have to wait for them to get released and the first customers to buy them. I'm sure there 'll be some eager reports coming then :)

Upvote 0
Question?

Why not just make a single really fast processor, even if it had a couple parts to it? Gotta love consumerism!

Mac Master Pro 100 x 200 GHz Gigaquad-Core Intel Xeon Processor..

I've heard some truly drop-your-jaw music recorded on an ancient four track with less then perfect instruments.

I'll give you a hint. "Being a great musician, is not about your equipment."

I will admit that recording is like photography in a way. The better the device is to capture it, the better the chance of getting a great looking photo. A picture of poo is still going to be a picture of poo! It's probably wiser as an engineer to focus on getting a good interface, great preamps and the kind of mics that fit the bill... in my humble opinion.

An observation while I'm thinking about it. I still record on an old, beat up G4 Laptop. The thing started freezing all the time due to CPU drain. So instead of running the newest, neatest stuff I downgraded it to an older OS (10.4) and Logic 7. Now unless I'm trying some really heavy recording with tons of plugins, the thing works great. Just a reminder that they intentionally outdate they're equipment. By staying on top of things, they've got you and your wallet right where they want it!

I've had no issue transferring files between the laptop and the studio's nice computer running Logic 9. Doesn't work the other way around as smoothly though.

Upvote 0
Why not just make a single really fast processor, even if it had a couple parts to it? Gotta love consumerism!

Mac Master Pro 100 x 200 GHz Gigaquad-Core Intel Xeon with Bells, Lights and Whistles, even makes your bed in the morning.

I've heard some truly drop-your-jaw music recorded on an ancient four track with less then perfect instruments.

I'll give you a hint. "Being a great musician, is not about your equipment."

I will admit that recording is like photography in a way. The better the device is to capture it, the better the chance of getting a great looking photo. A picture of poo is still going to be a picture of poo! It's probably wiser as an engineer to focus on getting a good interface, great preamps and the kind of mics that fit the bill... in my humble opinion.

An observation while I'm thinking about it. I still record on an old, beat up G4 Laptop. The thing started freezing all the time due to CPU drain. So instead of running the newest, neatest stuff I downgraded it to an older OS (10.4) and Logic 7. Now unless I'm trying some really heavy recording with tons of plugins, the thing works great. Just a reminder that they intentionally outdate they're equipment. By staying on top of things, they've got you and your wallet right where they want it!

I've had no issue transferring files between the laptop and the studio's nice computer running Logic 9. Doesn't work the other way around as smoothly though.

Your absolutely right Fresh. Being a great musician is (i would say) The most important factor in creating something that is going to sell. But i'll tell you my position. I have a 1.8 dual G5 with Cubase that I still use. And i've created stuff on that computer that people love. But having a new Mac is starting to become more and more essential for me, and i'll tell you why.
1. The new logic has a lot more mixing capabilities and all types of great VST's that will definitely make your good sounding music a lot better
2. I love having new equipment just because i love it.
3. Old G5 no good for new logic.
4. How many great songs can a great composer (in 1 genre of music) create in a casio? He would at one point need new equipment and he would probably love Logic 9. which needs a newer intel based Mac.

And just to let you know once i buy this computer I won't be buying a new one in about a decade. Unless they come out with something amazing enough that catches my attention. And it has to be really good!

Upvote 0

[SNIP]

Very true so long as your needs do not exceed your system.
Someone who does say soundtrack work and uses orchestral sample libraries with oodles of tracks might benefit from the next uber-quintuplet processor.
But, I hear what you are saying...
We live in a culture where our fancy new computers depreciate in value super quick and the next-big-thing is touted to be the answer to all your dreams...
Then, the cycle repeats and the computer companies laugh all the way to the bank.

All that being said, I love my 2009 MacPro. I am finally able to rely on a system that doesn't buckle upon loading a few instances of my favorite CPU- hog Plug-ins.
The fact that I "can" push those limits helps with what I wish to do creatively. And that to me, is a good thing. :)

Upvote 0
K, got me...

"The next-big-thing is touted to be the answer to all your dreams..."
-Very eloquently said, exactly what I was trying to say!

I will have to admit that the extra processing speed saves lots of time. It is a luxury to not be as concerned with CPU restraints when running intensive software.

I have to remind myself what's important once in a while. I have a tendency of getting distracted. It's more of a note to self. I just felt like ranting a lil'! :rolleyes:

I've adopted the practice of really analyzing if I'm using what I all ready have to its full capacity before I'll run out and get the newest, greatest thing; then saving for it instead of putting it on any kind of credit. Then when I'm standing there with my hard earned dough and still want to take the plunge I know that it's probably a wise investment.

Upvote 0
Back