Logic Pro 8 Note Slicing in Piano Roll

biom

Logician
Hi everyone,
sorry for a bit noobish question but is it possible somehow?
Actually, all I need is an ability to put my note whereever I want ignoring all grid limits in a random way as it is on attachement (FL Studio used, best piano roll I've ever seen=)

Thanx in advance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 166
In Piano Roll, hit Esc key to recall the tools, get scissors tool, mouse click the note and HOLD around the place you like to slice. While hold the mouse button use Ctrl+Shift modifier keys which will allow you to fine move ( by tick ) to the exact point you like to slice. Release the mouse button and you will slice exactly where you like - free of any snapping.
BTW. Use the same rule using the Ctrl+Shift modifiers to fine move the note by tick etc..

Upvote 0
yes yes, I know about scissors as well as the other instruments there)

the key phrase here is "free of any snapping"!
When I use FL piano roll, I just hold ALT while drawing the notes with a mouse and this function allows me to put my note WITHOUT SNAPPING TO GRID. So, I just draw quickly very short notes one after another to make them look sliced or I can use the scissors tool, but it is a way too much longer process, at least for me.

In short, I need to draw the note without snapping to grid. At any place I want (as if there were no grids)

sorry once again for my knotty problem) :redface:

Upvote 0
Set your snap mode to "tick". This will allow you to enter and manipulate notes freely. Of at least as freely as 960 ticks per quarter note allow :)

Upvote 0
ok)
I think graphical explanation will work at last

see new attach., pls, this is what I mean exactly

btw, the same thing works in Cubase either, if you disable quantization

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 0
I know what you mean...
It seems that you can copy notes and drag them freely to any position, but when you use the pencil tool, the note always snaps to a grid position, no matter what the snap settings are.

Unless we're both missing something.....

Upvote 0
Just tried setting the Transport Bar resolution up to the maximum, which /192. It allows for entering notes in the Piano Roll Editor with the pencil tool at a resolution of 48 divisions per sixteenth note. It seems that's the finest resolution available. But of course, once you enter them, you can move them at a tick based resolution.

Upvote 0
Back