Logic Pro 9 Only See Two Sends in Channel Strip

robitaille59

Logician
I have gone through the owner's manual and done several google searches but no luck.

It's a simple enough question.

I only see two sends in my channel strip, need more can someone tell me how to add more?

Thanks

Once you assign the second one, a third send slot becomes available. The channel strips keeps "growing" one additional send slot after the last one is used up.

Upvote 0
Thank you, that worked like a charm. I am limited by 8 sends but I believe that was addressed on another thread and it's a limitation of the software.

Upvote 0
Yes, that is the limitation. If you need more, you could always output the channel strip to a bus, then use the newly created bus that is receiving the exact same signal, to access an additional 8 sends.

Upvote 0
Yes, that is the limitation. If you need more, you could always output the channel strip to a bus, then use the newly created bus that is receiving the exact same signal, to access an additional 8 sends.

Maybe you can help me understand then. I want to create 6 mono monitor sends (for headphones) I want to be able to have a monitor knob on each channel strip like I would on a regular mixer.

My interface is a Presonus Firestudio.

The documentation from Presonus shows to send headphone monitor mix you'll need a pair of TRS. This is confusing, why use TRS to send a mono signal to the Left side of a stereo headphone and another TRS to send a mono signal to the right?

A TRS should be able to send a stereo signal, and besides this I don't really care if the monitor mix is in stereo except for the drummer as that is how I would do it live.

Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0
Setting up six headphone sends isn't difficult. Assign six sends, each to a unique bus. On each of the six aux tracks that are created to host the buses, assign the output to a unique output on your Presonus interface.

From the Presonus, cable it to your headphone amplifier. I suspect they are suggesting TTS cables because they are balanced. Of course you are correct that a TRS cable can carry a stereo signal. But I suspect that each of those outputs on the Presonus is mono, and the TRS cable is likely just for the sake of keeping it balanced.

Upvote 0
The documentation from Presonus shows to send headphone monitor mix you'll need a pair of TRS. This is confusing, why use TRS to send a mono signal to the Left side of a stereo headphone and another TRS to send a mono signal to the right?
Because an audio interface does not deliver stereo signals from single standard line outputs. It delivers a single channel per output and TRS is only used to have balanced lines which are almost immune against noise from power transformers, lights etc.

If your headphone amplifier has a button to send one side to both ears (often referred to as "Mono" button), you can sum your stereo monitor mix to one channel and use only one cable per monitor path.

Upvote 0
In response to what Peter said about TRS and balanced cables etc. I have a headphone amplifier that has one stereo 1/4" female input and 4 outputs that are 1/4" female as well with each output having it's own volume pot.

If I have a stereo output (meaning I'm using two physical outputs on my interface) and then using a Y adapter that would reduce it down to one 1/4" male for my headphone amp then am I correct in assuming that there's no sense in using a TRS because the headphone amp is not balanced and the signal would then be subject to interferance. And that I might as well just use a TS cable if I'm going to use that headphone amp?

Also I just wanted to note that to my suprise the signal coming out of my extra inputs was way hotter than the signal coming out of my two main outputs. I was tempted to just plug headphones directly into the interface but did not as I was concerned it might damage it. I checked all the possible settings in logic and in the firestudio software and they were identical. Just an interesting observation.

Upvote 0
Back