Logic Pro 9 Out of Memory Question

Legacy

Logician
Greetings,

Yesterday I was working on a tune and attempting to load a new instance of Omnisphere, when I got an "out of memory 0%" dialog. I already had approx 20 virtual instruments open, so it wasn't really that surprising. Aside from bouncing some of the instruments to audio, or freezing tracks, what is the big-picture solution? Does this dialog mean that I need to add more RAM to my MacBook Pro, or switch to running in 64 bit, or both? Please advise.

Thanks!

Well, depends: 1) how much ram DO you have in your MBP? And which model of MBP is it (Year is what I need to know). Most since 2009 can take between 8 and 16 GB of ram.

2) 64 bit mode is better if you have the ram too use, so if you have 4 MB or more, switch to 64 bit mode, it will help with samples and memory use.

3) I usually use the "bounce in place" function, then turn off the instrument and inserts by option clicking on each to disable them, then hide the instrument tracks and their contact, keeping the new audio version available to see. That way if I wanna redo something, I just turn everything back on, edit, re-bounce in place, turn off, and off I go.

Hope that helps,

Upvote 0
George,

1. It's a 2012 MacBook Pro (non-retina) with 8 gigs of ram. Should I double up to 16? Will it hold more than that?

2. Do I understand correctly that if I want to switch to 64 bit mode, then all my plugins must be 64bit as well?

3. Is there a difference in CPU usage between bouncing in place and freezing a track?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
8 GB should be fine in most cases.

If you switch to 64 bit mode and run 32 bit plug-ins (most plug-ins have been converted to 64 bits now) Logic has a 32 bit/64 bit shell app that will run them. So you should be good to go.

There is no difference in CPU between bouncing a track and freezing one. It's more about how you can edit or alter a BIP(Bounce in place) track. A frozen track can't be edited in any way. I use BIP over Freeze 99% of the time because of this.

Upvote 0
Back