Plugin Selection Menu

JLonderee

Logician
I don't use half the stock plugs, and all my 3rd party plugs are listed by manufacturer.

I want an preferences option to use a custom plugin selection menu, with categories I can create and manage.

In other words, I want to organize my plugs by purpose instead of brand name.

At the moment, the easiest work-around is probably to make a Channel Strip Setting for each favourite plugin, and load them from the Library tab.

You can customize your Library file structure by dragging around your .cst (Channel Strip) files in the Finder, making sub-folders, etc.:
/Users/~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Instrument(or Bus, or whatever plugin type)

At the moment, the easiest work-around is probably to make a Channel Strip Setting for each favourite plugin, and load them from the Library tab.

You can customize your Library file structure by dragging around your .cst (Channel Strip) files in the Finder, making sub-folders, etc.:
/Users/~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Instrument(or Bus, or whatever plugin type)

How do you use this method for anything other than the first insert in the chain? Seems no matter what, you lose your existing plugins in the chain when loading channel strips from the Library, which makes this approach moot to me. Did I miss something?

How do you use this method for anything other than the first insert in the chain? Seems no matter what, you lose your existing plugins in the chain when loading channel strips from the Library, which makes this approach moot to me. Did I miss something?

(Sorry for the delay) No, that's right -- Ch.St.Stgs save and load a set of plugins as a unit, and replace any that are already loaded.

My buddy Eli pointed out that you can drag-copy a plugin from one channel strip to another:

"...one of the great features of the Track Mixer: Hold down the Command key to move a plugin from one slot to another - or one channel strip to another. And add the Option key to that to copy it instead of move it."

So although this is getting convoluted, you could create a new track, load any Ch.St.Stgs you like, and then drag individual plugins to the track you're working on.
You could cram one Channel Strip Setting with your 6 or 8 favourite plugins, load it when you need any of them, and then drag the ones you want at that moment to your working track.

I know, not really what you wanted. :^( But maybe this strategy could be useful at some point.

cheers.

You could cram one Channel Strip Setting with your 6 or 8 favourite plugins, load it when you need any of them, and then drag the ones you want at that moment to your working track.

I know, not really what you wanted. :^( But maybe this strategy could be useful at some point.

cheers.

Hey Pete,

The only drag with this strategy is that loading in all those plugins unnecessarily takes up a lot of vertical space in the Track Mixer. So, if you do load in this temporary "plugin holder" to "harvest" the ones you want, make sure to delete that channel strip afterwards. Or else live with the additional vertical scaling that it will demand.

No worries and thank you for your creative thought process. I'm still loving my "meta data" idea for tagging pluggins and allowing us the OPTION of organizing plugins by meta tags.

alien,

I like your idea too. I hope the Logic developers read this forum.

[and if they do read it, I hope they'll also consider creating an arpeggiator and a step sequencer (modular analog style) that is as slick and easy to invoke as, say, Ultrabeat is in the beatbox genre. :^} ]

- Peter

[I hope they'll also consider creating an arpeggiator and a step sequencer (modular analog style) that is as slick and easy to invoke as, say, Ultrabeat is in the beatbox genre. :^} ]

Please start a new thread to discuss that.
Thanks and kind regards

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Back