Logic Pro (X) Problems while recording regions with Pedalling

camprut

Logician
How do you deal in recording piano regions with pedalling?

I have a feeling that something has changes since logic 9, I had never this problem before.

1. It has maybe anything to do with Clip Length which is always ticked. WHAT IS IT this thing?

2. Let’s say that you record a region, then you decide to record another region on the second track just attaching to the previous one. You shorten a pedal a little bit (because it requires edit to be able to start without pedalling or with a next pedal) but unfortunately upon recording there are still issues with Pedal, it does not work as it should etc. How to do it properly? The only solution for me was gluing those regions after I record but I have problems with pedalling on the second region

Could you please help?

thanks

Sustain pedal. Whenever I am trying to record the second region even though I have edited the pedal ending of the first one well I start playing and have problems because it does not work properly (as if I have not pressed the pedal) until I glue those 2 regions after I finished playing. And what is it this "Clip length option"? Sometimes unticking it works -otherwise it is impossible to record the second region with good pedalling and not possible to playback it right unless 1 glue those 2 regions.

Upvote 0
From Apple Support: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13069?locale=en_US
  • Clip Length: This function lets you alter the length of the last notes in a region directly from the Tracks area, by adjusting the length of the MIDI region. When turned on, any notes sounding when the region ends are abruptly cut off. When turned off, notes are played to their normal end point, regardless of where the region ends.

Uncheck it.
    Does the sustain pedal (CC#64) perform as expected?

Upvote 0
Yes CSeye is correct. If you enable clip length.. All midi notes ( including CC#64 which you call pedaling) will stop when the region ends. If you disable clip length - then the note and sustain will behave as though the regions are glued together. If that is your desired behavior - you can turn clip length off in Midi Thru (region inspector - no region selected) to affect the default behavior during and after recording.

Notice below.... (watch the mixer levels) I press the pedal at about measure 10, the region ends at measure 11 but the note continues to ring until the CC#64 pedal up message is received.

CC#64.gif

Upvote 0
Back