Logic Pro 9 recording oddity...

I recorded a guitar track and seem to get only 1 channel(half of a waveform) showing in the arrange window...when I click off the LINK in the inspector both channels come back...even though the ARRANGE window shows one channel...and as well I get lost audio regions when I play back the track in the ARRANGE area but not in the SAMPLE EDITOR. It seems to happen mostly when the playhead passes between 2 regions. I've checked all input and output settings and can't make heads or tails of it. Any idea what's causing this? Thanks folks

Hi Brian,

WRT the first problem, it sounds like you are recording a mono source onto a stereo track. So, only one side is producing audio. If you are recording in mono, use a mono track.

WRT to "lost regions", it sounds like you have overlapping regions on the same track in the Arrange Window. Only one can play at a time on the same track. When this happens, the newest region always takes priority and will cut off the old region. So, is it possible you are hearing the old region cut off when the new one starts? If that is the problem, the solution is to just place them on two tracks assigned to discreet channel strips.

HTH...

Upvote 0
Mono/Stereo

Thanks for replying and getting ever so close to booking a tutoring session! I was wanting to create a stereo track from a mono recording...without too much in depth advice...how do you set up for STEREO monitoring from a MONO recording? I don't really see any overlapping regions and TRIM REGION TO NEXT REGION would be my LOGICal approach....Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Brian,

First off - if you are recording something in mono, record it onto a mono track. If you record onto a stereo track, one side will be empty - as you have discovered.

Having said that, you can take your mono audio file and play it back on either a mono track or a stereo track, and it will be sent equally to both left and right sides and will sound right in the middle.

If you want to somehow stereo-ize it, you need to use some form of mono to stereo plug-in. You can easily do this when you call up a plug-in from the insert menu. Choose the mono --> stereo version and it will process your incoming mono signal and output it in stereo. This works great with chorus or delay or reverb type plug-ins.

Or alternatively, you can just set up a send to a stereo aux/bus and have a reverb or delay or other time based plug-in there where the "wet" portion of your signal will be processed in stereo.

Regarding your other problem, if there are no oever lapping regions than it must be something else :D I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point.

Upvote 0
Back