Logic Pro 8 Score adjustments without changing playback?

sunhunter9

Logician
Obviously, if I like the playback of a piece, but don't like certain things about the score, I can make a copy of the project and do whatever to the score. But I want to hear the playback while I work on improving the score, and I am not very open to the idea of having two projects open at once because I have some trouble seeing and get confused, and there are other issues with this. I guess I could just make a bounce and use iTunes for playback, toggling between apps. As I get into studying more about the page editing mode, I realize that I have many edits/marks I can make to score without affecting playback, but the details are pretty fuzzy, particularly concerning the handling of rests, which is one of the main problems. I'm sorry for the vagueness, I'm new at trying to create practical scores for players in Logic 8.02. Any comments by those doing this will be appreciated. Is there a way to temporarily disconnect the score page from playback, or to get an alert when a particular score page edit will affect playback?

Donovan R.
MBP 17" core2 duo 2.4 4gb RAM Logic 8.02

Why not just duplicated the region(s) you want to edit in the score, and assign them to "no output" objects. That way, the originals will play back through their regular track assignments while you work on the copies - which will be silent.

Upvote 0
Eli's suggest should work well - it's funny as it's not one I would have thought of immediately (too many ways to skin the poor proverbial cat in this program).

My thought would be for you to disable the MIDI out of the score editor. Doesn't affect playback, just prevents your note manipulations from sounding.

Upvote 0
That's exactly what I do, but I don't bother to assign it to No Output. Just make an exact copy of the track you want to prepare and mute it. That way you can still use the record/playback functions of that score track should you want to check or adjust notes via MIDI.

Upvote 0
> the handling of rests

One of the unfinished aspects of the score package. You have to become adept at the art of 'workaround' :)

What particular problems are you having?

peter

Upvote 0
Thanks for asking. My answers are limited by my lack of knowledge. However, one very obvious problem is that, in spite of there being "no overlap" aurally or visually (in the Piano Roll ed.) I have an instance of it in a solo flute piece (showing a third playing), even though "no overlap" is also checked in the inspector area. That's a stumper. I have been solving this by massaging in the Piano Roll to where it looks okay
without changing things very audibly. I don't see how this can be happening.

My solo flute score won't show any 32nd notes, and I would like some 32nd rests where 16th rests are displayed. Actually, they could just be phase or breath marks. I'll be working with the player to get it sorted, so it will all work out, but I'd like to get as close as possible to a good score. The piece is at 120mm, and while there aren't any really difficult rhythmic passages (like 11:8 etc.) there are places where notes should sound over the bar line, whereas a 16th rest is showing on the downbeat. I'm trying to figure out if maybe I need to turn "interpretation" off and/or use a different quantization. For a novice such as myself, there are just too many problems piling up, but I am sorting them out.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to figure out if maybe I need to turn "interpretation" off and/or use a different quantization.

General rule of thumb is if you're playing the parts in, have interpretation enabled. If you're dragging notes in, disable it.

It is a bit confusing overall, but the score editor is capable of quite good results. Look at user rests as well - they usually help getting the look one needs.

Upvote 0
My solo flute score won't show any 32nd notes, and I would like some 32nd rests where 16th rests are displayed.

You can change the display quantise to include 32nds. If this makes the whole score look wrong you can just apply it to a small region that requires it.

Alternatively I will sometimes use the tuplet feature to override a display quantise, this allows you to use notes and/or user rests of whatever division you choose for the tuplet.

As you say, it's also worth toggling interpretation. For more precise scoring it's usually better to have it off, which often means some quite extensive editing of note lengths if the part has been played in.

Upvote 0
Bear in mind that you can have Interpretation on and cancel it on specific notes and vice-versa.

Personally, I always have a version of a projet that sounds the way I want it to sound and then save it under another name for score printout because once I am at the making it look right stage, I never want to have to factor in how it sounds again.

Upvote 0
Wow, I feel grateful for these helpful tips/observations. Among other things, it is now obvious, duh, why I'm not seeing any 32nd notes. I have saved an aurally correct version and am now dealing solely with the score. I will experiment with the tuplet feature and quantizing small areas. I've been somewhat baffled about the capacities of Logic for "pencil and paper"/step entry type composing, and my eyes are beginning to open.
Also, this new LUG format has proven me wrong with regard to my expectations. For one thing, it is very handy to be able to see the threads one is involved in under one's own user area. This saves paper, because otherwise I'd be printing everything here out for reference. Thanks, Donovan R.

Upvote 0
Back