Logic Pro 9 Shockingly long song load times..

Question for logic users: I am getting SHOCKINGLY slow song load times. Logic boot up is fine. Songs (albeit very large.. lots of audio...) taking up to 5min+ to load!! I'm using a lot of eastwest. I would think I had a drive problem, or QL play problem, but east west and song audio are on different drives. This is a new development that was not occuring when these songs were written...... uuurggh..diskwarrior says drives are fine, permissions done, anyone had this? Mac pro Nehalem 10.7.5, latest LP9v running at 64bit.

Thanx in advance.

P.

Has anything changed on your system? OSX or Logic updates?
What conditions existed when you wrote the songs? (Same computer? Version of OSX? Version of Logic?)

How much free space do you have on your hard drives? The absolute minimum should be 15%. What type of hard drives? SSD or hard disc?

Drives that are very full yield sluggish performance. Due to cost reasons at this time, I recently upgraded my MBP drives to the Seagate Hybrids (SSD+HD) rather than all high capacity SSD drives. But the performance boost was pretty amazing in terms of boot time and load times for apps and projects.

Upvote 0
Yes this seems normal there days on my system as well as a few clients. Seems the larger the song, and the more parts, plus if it is logged into external servers using VSL, means longer times.
Same OS and Logic versions as you, and this happened on a new system as well.

Upvote 0
George,

What's your take on SSD drives? Word on the web seems to be that they make a difference when using sample libraries because they are playback only. Writing to SSD seems to be a cause of wear, but not playback.

So a consideration for a system configuration would be writing audio to mechanical drives and playing back sample libraries from SSD.

The down side is that large capacity SSD (500 GB) are still too pricey.

I guess the other option is a more minimalist approach to arranging.:D

Upvote 0
Well, I have a client who uses SSD drives in places for system drives (All system) and we put most accessed sample libs on them. Makes a huge difference for startup and boot times, taking things to between 25% and 50% of previous load times for things like Logic and the system in general, as well as all sample playback computers (for the entire VSL computer, and some of our Play?Kontakt computer).

I use them at home for recording though, and have no issues at all. I use 250 and 500GB drives that can be bought for about $180 and $320 or so for each drive.

LOVE SSD. Really makes a system feel faster.

Upvote 0
Back