Logic Pro 9 Ultrabeat thumbs up or down

Ok I tried out this ultrabeat application. It does not seem too bad but it only lets you create 24 patterns to a drum kit. Is that an issue? How do I get it to use some good drum samples and where would I get such a thing? By good I mean drum sounds like Ludwig, Slingerland, etc?

more drum sounds, buy sample libraries. You can create your own kits in ultrabeat.
I use pattern based drum machines for rough sketching first, then I 'print' those loops and play the ultrabeat as a drum/percussion/fx sampler by adjusting the printed midi info adding and subtracting elements on the track and not on the saved patterns.

Upvote 0
Use the length and resolution settings to control how many and what type of notes form the bars. It takes a minute to get your head into it but it works. For example, to get a bar of 5/4 time - set length 20 resolution 16.
A length of 14 at that resolution would create 7/8 time. You probably want to work at higher resolutions so that you have more subdivisions on the UB step sequencer to work with. HTH

Upvote 0
You can import EXS24 drum kits into Ultrabeat, but why? Why not just use the EXS24 and make regions (those are patterns like the ones found in UB).

If you like grid editing, you can setup the Hypereditor to act as a step sequencer for acoustic drum kits. There are a lot in EXS24.

cheers,

-bs-

Upvote 0
One nice feature of bringing an EXS 24 drum kit into Ultrabeat is the unique volume and pan control for each voice. It's worth it just for this alone.... Now, if only I'd follow my own advice! :D

Upvote 0
You can also import individual layered keymaps from EXS and UB. Its really great to be able to build a kit from other kits.

I also love the drag & drop sample kit. Every one of the voices is ready to receive a drag and drop sample on OSC2. Very very handy for building up quick kits. I'm a big fan of the GoldBaby drum libraries and this is the perfect and easy way to build a custom kit from my favorite sounds and then control the routing and effects for each sound. Sometimes I like to layer synthesis features on top, like to add noise, or velocity controlled filter effects.

Yeah, Ultrabeat, THUMBS UP!

Upvote 0
Back