a way of making Logic even more user friendly

rainguitar

Logician
I've been using Logic since version 4. This program has always been very flexible in that there are often many ways to accomplish something in Logic. The downside of this is that it makes learning how to use the program more time consuming. After all these years I'm still finding easier ways of doing things. Since aquiring Emagic, Apple has, in my opinion, made Logic much more user friendly. There is one feature I would like to see, however. I would like to see a toggle, a switch, that when engaged would show you alternate ways of accomplishing a task. For instance there are at least 3 different ways of changing an object's color. If you used one of these ways, then a pop up window would appear showing different ways of accomplishing the same thing. That way you could quickly find ways of doing things that may be easier or more suited to your way of working. Then when you no longer needed this feature simply turn it off.

Nice idea! I guess you mean a way to enable an extra "mouse hover pop-up" that tell you stuff like "Hey - there's also a key command you can use to do this without clicking this button" etc etc. Cool.

A GUI built-in online manual is another, sort of related, thing that could be useful for beginners. I'm thinking about that box down to the left in Ableton Live that displays the manual text referring to whatever object you pass the mouse pointer over. Something like that would be nice to have as an option.

I discovered whippin up the key command window (option k) and then typing in the function. It shows you what shortcut it is, OR you could customize it, which is what I love to do.

Maybe a general "balloon help" option which one could turn on and off at will?

Logic 8 does have help tags, which you can turn on and off. They could afford to be more descriptive in many cases though!

Orren

Logic 8 does have help tags, which you can turn on and off. They could afford to be more descriptive in many cases though!

Dear Orren -
What help is that? How does one access it?

Help tags are little balloons that become active when you hover the mouse over an item in Logic:

20090321-khpcn4798xff9ps4y476aeu434.jpg

You activate it by checking the "display help tags" preference in Preferences > Display

Orren

Dear Orren -
What help is that? How does one access it?

Help tags are little balloons that become active when you hover the mouse over an item in Logic:

20090321-khpcn4798xff9ps4y476aeu434.jpg

You activate it by checking the "display help tags" preference in Preferences > Display

Orren

Oh, right, I have that on by default. Tags only seem to appear for a limited range of items, though. So far, I only found them for the Transport Bar and the Toolbar. Nothing for the actual windows, mixer, or any menu commands. A fuller implementation of this would be nice.

Back