Logic Pro (X) Adjusting volume in stack track

artiquarius

Hi there, this is my first post, hope someone can help.
I created my first stack having recorded a solo guitar piece 5 times. Then being dissatisfied with the sound moved the mic and recorded 3 more tracks.
Then I tried comping them together but at one point the newer guitar was much louder and I wanted to reduce the volume of a few notes. Have tried everyway possible and looked at you tube videos for hours then read as much as I could possibly stand for two days I am asking this user group if there is a way to do this. A simple volume control is all I am after, to turn down a few selected notes. ( Like in automation )
The other thing I would like to do is swipe a selected few notes on one track and select some notes on the track above to hear both playing at the same time, in unison ( or in harmony) - Can't do that either.
So I thought I would do it the old school way on separate tracks and flatten the stack so all recordings would all become separate again. However flatten tracks was greyed for some unknown reason so couldn't do that either. I thought then I would unpack the tracks which I did and they became seperated again only now there is no sound from any of the tracks. No matter what they will not play.
All in all a hair tearing couple of days in which I have spent about 16 hours getting absolutely nowhere. One would have thought somebody could make this programme work hell of a lot better than this.
I don't think I will use stacks again. - Can't auto volume tracks or notes, can't play two selections together to see which harmonies are best, can't undo the stack when I want, can't unpack them because they go mute, in fact pretty unless apart from comping single track recordings.
Any help welcome.

I don't think I will use stacks again.

The good news is that you don't have to use Stacks again because it looks like you didn't use Stacks to begin with.

With all due respect, but you cannot blame the programmers with statements like "One would have thought somebody could make this programme work hell of a lot better than this".
The programmers could easily respond with something like "One would have thought somebody could properly learn such a complex program before using it".

So let's get to it.
First of all. It looks like you are using the wrong terminology which makes it difficult to understand what you actually did so far. The term "Stacks" or "Track Stacks" is something different from what you are describing. I think what you are using is "Take Folders" and "Take Regions". These are the tools for the "Quick Swipe Comping".You record multiple passes once or multiple times which creates Take Regions conveniently inside a Take Folder. You create a Comp, a selection of the best parts, referred to as the "Comp Region".

However, as you described, you ran into a problem with the different levels. The easy solution is Region Gain. In Logic, you can select an Audio Region and in the Region Inspector on the left, you will see a Parameter called Gain hat lets you set a specific Gain ±30dB. You would just select the Take Regions of those loud Guitar parts and lower their Gain so they match the other Take Regions. Now you can comp away to create your best Guitar Solo.

Here is a tip. When comping, make sure to set the Crossfades correctly in the Audio Preferences to smooth out any problematic cuts/transitions

Comping.png

Hope that helps,

Upvote 0
Back