Logic Pro X Akai - MidiMix - control surfaces

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that there is no bidirectional communication between the DAW and the MidiMix and therefore they don't have and don't need a control surface software. You just got pre-set mappings with the .cs file they deliver. You can look at them in the Controller Assignments panel (expert mode).

Maybe your MidiMix does not send the expected messages? Check with Midi Monitor. Volume fader 1 should send CC 22 on channel 7, volume fader 2 should send CC 23, next fader CC 24 and so on.

Upvote 0

mertas

Logician
. You just got pre-set mappings with the .cs file they deliver. You can look at them in the Controller Assignments panel (expert mode).

Maybe your MidiMix does not send the expected messages? Check with Midi Monitor. Volume fader 1 should send CC 22 on channel 7, volume fader 2 should send CC 23, next fader CC 24 and so on.

MidiMix sends messages. But in Expert mode of Controller Assignments panel I do not see preset mappings from .cs file. could you please check, that the preset file really works in Logic 10.3.0, I do not see MidiMix presets at all. So I have doubts, if preset file is ok on Akai web site.

Upvote 0

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
I checked this already in Logic 10.3.0
I downloaded the .cs file from Akai, closed
Logic and copied the file to this place:
<user>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs
Then started Logic and the mapping was visible.

And of course it was usable, I've programmed a couple of faders of a nanoKontrol for the MidiMix mappings I've seen in Logic, changed the input port in the Controller Assignments for these faders and voila.

Have you probably copied the .cs file to the wrong Library/Preset/ folder? Not under the computer's name, the correct location is under your user name.

I see no reason why it should not work, this is no complicated control surface software, it's a simple mapping you could also do on your own and use with any controller.

Upvote 0

Jaydd

Coming in hot! And also real late to this party.

The link from inmusicbrands.com that Mertas had linked above is no longer alive.

Any new leads out there for that map download?
I'll keep scanning the other parts of the internet but figured I'd try here too.

Much obliged from a n00b.
j

Upvote 0

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
I'll keep scanning the other parts of the internet but figured I'd try here too.
A search engine would have done the same. But anyway, we like to talk to colleagues :cool:

Found one:
Akai Pro MIDImix - Setup with Logic Pro X
Conveniently download it soon before they realize
they have it in the wrong folder on the server.

In the paragraph "Getting Started" you can use the two links
to download the .cs file, the preset file and the MidiMix Editor.

Upvote 0

Jaydd

Oh my goodness. You are an angel Peter. I found that same site but through Rane and the download link is broken there. Even contacted their site support about it!

I did manage to begin relearn/map some things on the Midi Mix through Logic directly but it does seem a little, chunky? But i'm new to Midi mapping so everything feels slow and cumbersome in my corner.

Thank you for the jumpstart.

J

Upvote 0

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
I did manage to begin relearn/map some things on the Midi Mix through Logic directly but it does seem a little, chunky?
With clean continuous CCs from the MidiMix, with no big jumps in value, it shouldn't feel chunky. If you experience erratic jumps, the settings in Logic’s Controller Assignments can be wrong.

If you don't have it already, download MIDI Monitor from Snoize. It can show you all MIDI running to, from and inside your Mac. Move the MidiMix faders and knobs slowly and fast and look at the MIDI stream. Check incoming and outgoing, Logic should not send MIDI to the MidiMix, that could produce a MIDI loop.

If the MIDI stream looks good, you may try to switch off
MIDI data reduction in main menu "File > Project Settings > Recording"
I don’t know if that is for automation only or for MIDI input generally.
If it does not help, switch it on again.

Upvote 0