Logic Pro (X) Amazingly easy-to-use flex pitch!

Fabulowsky

Logician
I used melodyne quite often recently, I must say I don't miss it because i think
it is remarkable how easy it is to change the vibrato, the pitch drift and the gain with the grab handles (all around the note rectangle) immediate access, no need for time consuming keyboard shortcut between edits ...very smart !
Not to mention about how nice the local inspector is on the top of that, like quantizing is a piece of cake with the strengh slider !
Again the track sample edit view is great here too ... (double click on any audio file to get it fast)

Thanks for offering your impressions. There's so much to do right now, that it'll be a few hours :) before I get to flex pitch.

Upvote 0
I did a really quick test with Flex Pitch and it seems to be a bit glitchy. I changed one note and the rest of the audio file was affected and became unstable and warbly.

This is obviously not a conclusive result but my first impression is that Melodyne sounds much much better.....

Upvote 0
that's interesting because i had a quite contrasting experience: actually i found no glitch while testing for an hour, also i find worth mentioning that the vibrato /pitch drift combination even when used voluntarily abusively to almost a straight line, still does NOT give me a robotic voice sound which it did with melodyne ...

I still want to believe about your unfortunate experience though and would be interested if you could quantify what you meant like I did in terms of processing quality. Could you be more specific ?
EDIT: Funny because after reading about your sad experience, I just tried to use more extensively the semitones shifting by dragging and dropping (audio) note in the track sample view and got indeed a glitch. Note that I could correct a bit the glitch after that but got weird lines placement (still on old location of note before drag), but as long i used the voice correction tools as opposed to transposition i was just fine ...
Looks like 10.0.0 is a bit young after all, glad I still have my dual boot with OSX10.6.8 :)

Upvote 0
I used it for 3 hours straight today. I liked it for the most part. Melodyne tracks every nuance in the performance and flex pitch will omit some stuff. Most of what it omits is ok (breaths, s's). I miss working in DP and having instant access to pitch correction so I'm thrilled that its now in Logic. Plus, you can change gain and timing like Melodyne. DP can't do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I've been spending a bit of time with Flex Pitch. It seems to work pretty well.

One niggle:it seems once you merge two notes together you can't undo this action, except to cut the note box.

I also crashed Logic using this - I think I was trying to create a note box.

Upvote 0
Yeah but it would still nice to have em so you can reduce sibilance as you go through treating a vocal

Agreed! I have a good 6 hours logged in with flex pitch. Overall it's been working very well. The project I'm tuning are very long "through composed" pieces. Imagine a 7 minute sing where the vocalist never takes a break and the melody never repeats. I got many crashes when trying to get to the audio track single window to adjust pitch buy managed to push through after turning flex off, double clicking to open the editor and then turning flex back on. I think overall Melodyne does a better job with formats. I found myself using flex's formant control a lot to make bigger changes more natural.

Upvote 0
It's seems apple have gone for their own thing and its a bit of a shame there's no prospect of melodyne's ARA system being implemented. However I can see the flex pitch working well once it's been tweaked a bit...

Upvote 0
I had hoped for melodyne ARA integration in LPX - as I thought no one could could top Celemony's algo ... Ive been using Melod. from its inception and worked beta with them about 9 years ago... I know the program well.
Flex Pitch blew my mind I took a vocal that I had pitched in Melodyne (albeit a rather poor singer) - and that was the first thing i did when I opened LPX. - Flex Pitch - For this particular vocal, FP had it all over celemony (Sorry Jorg...)
Also keep in mind the following
1. - no transfer time into Melodyne
2. - No open File-Settings - to save the Melod. files to my audio drive
3. - no extra Melo. files taking up residence on myhard drives
4. - no chopping of s's or consonants - I think its brilliant that the algo doent puck up the ncvoiced sounds - thats been Celemony's white whale for the longest time - even gaining a 's' on meloydyne may cost you artifacts....
5. - Flex time right there - and more intuitive then Melod.
6. - Gain editing visually with the wave right there
7. Much easier options to bounce to MIDI for talkbox, or vocoder...

Maybe it was just the honeymoon - but I have to say - Great Job Logic team on Flex Pitch.... (and we all know that polyphonic is right around the corner)

Upvote 0
Haven't tried it, but I'd guess there is too much attack and not enough pitch - going back to the unvoiced sounds concept. And of course I could be wrong on this too....

Upvote 0
I had hoped for melodyne ARA integration in LPX - as I thought no one could could top Celemony's algo ... Ive been using Melod. from its inception and worked beta with them about 9 years ago... I know the program well.
Flex Pitch blew my mind ../..
Great Job Logic team on Flex Pitch.... (and we all know that polyphonic is right around the corner)
The more I use it, the more amazed I am on how smart the algorithms are, I totally agree that the choice of keeping the breath and siblliants untouched is great, at the same time I can see value in being able to edit them too as other folks mentioned in that thread: if it were only for gain attenuation that would be convenient but ...
... because the audio track editor on the bottom can do that for you in few seconds I can still cope with that omission :)
Now as a developer, i can totally understand that compatibility kills innovation and performances in a software ; but I still regret I can't really use Logic X as well on my core 2 duo macbook pro w/ 4GB ram; no that it does not work (which by itself is remarkable!) but simply that it is running too slow with ML on it.

Upvote 0
I've logged around 12 hours working in flex pitch now with a "challenged" vocalist. I think at this point I need to use Melodyne (with this guy) as I'm getting way to many artifacts using flex pitch. Plus, sometimes you can really hear it alter the tone, even when it's not doing any correction. I'll still be using it though and look forward to trying it someone who is a little more on the money.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I've put in a few hours myself, but with a pretty good singer. I've also tried it on guitar. Haven't really noticed artifacts or tone alteration. Not to say it doesn't exist, just haven't noticed it.

Would be curious how Melodyne does with the same material.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I've put in a few hours myself, but with a pretty good singer. I've also tried it on guitar. Haven't really noticed artifacts or tone alteration. Not to say it doesn't exist, just haven't noticed it.

Would be curious how Melodyne does with the same material.

Hey Doug. I'm being picky here. There are many things that flex can't fix that this guy is doing (or not doing?). I'd normally be happy with flex. I just got done retuning this song with Melodyne and I could tackle more problematic spots. Plus, there were definitely places where flex was doing unpleasant things. Like I said, this is an extreme case and I'm glad I got to get to know it in this scenario. Most people won't have to deal with the things I have to deal with:)

Upvote 0
Back