Logic Pro 8 Analog record/punch in style.

Pepe Ortega

Logician
I really like to record enable on the fly like analog recorders. I just dontñ like the fact that I must stop logic to enable/disable record or punch in/out.

Nuendo can do . why logic no?

<Admin: Pepe, I moved your question to 'General Logic Discussion' because Logic can do what you want.>

Logic has a function called "Punch on the fly".
English manual page 369.
This will bring you a step forward.

Upvote 0
It´s not punch in the fly.
Image you want to record two tracks at time. guitar and bass.
You must record guitar all song, but need to punch few bars on bass on the same take.
On analog recorder (Or in nuendo too) you can activate or deactive the record function while record is in place. In logic it´s impossible to do this. If I´m recording two tracks at time, I can´t dissable record on any track while running. In the fly lets you puch in or puch out all the tracks only.

Upvote 0
No DAW I know of can toggle the record of individual tracks on the fly independently of other tracks. But the nature of a DAW (not limited to "tape tracks" but of hard disk space which is abundant) means that this old tape feature isn't needed too badly. Simply record all tracks from start to finish, and then optimize the audio files (get rid of "silence") if you need to.

Upvote 0
I guess we are not all talking about the same thing here.

Whatever software instrument tracks are armed, I can go in and out of record tape recorder style, and I can also take them out of being armed individually while this is going on.

Whatever audio tracks are armed, I can go in and out of record tape recorder style, but I cannot also take them out of being armed individually while this is going on.

And yes, as far as I know, no DAW can.

Upvote 0
Whatever audio tracks are armed, I can go in and out of record tape recorder style, but I cannot also take them out of being armed individually while this is going on.

And yes, as far as I know, no DAW can.

Nuendo Does it.

On analog tape you can push record and later engage or dissengage at any track at time on the fly. In nuendo you can do the same. I´m talking about audio tracks (Not VI)
When you´re recording complete bands in a hurry, some musicians want to punch in/out passages independently On the same take.

Or I´m missing something??

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

Okay I just did a test here and this is what I came up with:

With two audio tracks record enabled in Logic I can hit record and they will record (obviously). With punch on the fly enabled, I can easily use the Record Toggle key command while the transport is running and seamlessly switch between playback and record. Okay nothing new here so far.

While the tracks are recording it is impossible to unarm them. We've already come to that conclusion. BUT - what you CAN do is while the transport is running, use Record Toggle to switch to playback mode. In this state you CAN arm/unarm the tracks while the transport continus to run.

So, in effect, you can sort of get what the original poster wants. It's just that it takes a few steps rather than one. You need to toggle in/out of record mode - then make your switch as to the record armed state of the track - then toggle back to record.

So.... there you go :)

Upvote 0
While the tracks are recording it is impossible to unarm them. We've already come to that conclusion. BUT - what you CAN do is while the transport is running, use Record Toggle to switch to playback mode. In this state you CAN arm/unarm the tracks while the transport continus to run.

So, in effect, you can sort of get what the original poster wants. It's just that it takes a few steps rather than one. You need to toggle in/out of record mode - then make your switch as to the record armed state of the track - then toggle back to record.

Great find!

I'm betting that's one of those things that while it takes more steps than in Cubendo, to someone who is used to it and fluid on key commands, the record toggle trick while recording to arm/disarm tracks can be done quite fast. :thmbup:

Orren

Upvote 0

Great find!

I'm betting that's one of those things that while it takes more steps than in Cubendo, to someone who is used to it and fluid on key commands, the record toggle trick while recording to arm/disarm tracks can be done quite fast. :thmbup:

Orren

Which leads us quite sweetly onto the development of some kind of macro equivalent in Logic similar to actions in Photoshop. Build your own button and put it on the transport. This would have to be easy and intuitive to create. It would be like Turbo Key Commands©.

Tony
© bambony thought initiative enterprises

Upvote 0
Back