Logic Pro 9 Another Midi question

beatman

Logician
I'd like to import some previously recorded audio (harmonica)files as Midi.When I drag them into Logic it wants to default to a piano setting...I'd like to import them as the instrument they are..How would i create a generic Midi track??

Thanks

recorded audio (harmonica)files as Midi
You question is a bit little complicated...
1. If you hope to import Audio file like Wav, Aiff etc and expect Logic to convert it to Midi by detecting the audio patch and generating a proper Program Change - the answer is NO ! There are not such magic applications on the market yet.
2. If you have an existing SMF (Standard Midi File) and you want to import it into Logic, so Logic can create a proper midi track you can try to hold the Option key while you use the Import menu.

Upvote 0
After my post I realized that I could turn an audio file in logic to midi by double clicking it then selecting score editor under one of the drop menus..It's now a midi file,but for some reason i can't edit it?If i create new notes or drag existing ones they move,but i don't hear any difference..also they don't make a sound when i click themeither?

Upvote 0
If you double click an audio file, the Sample Edit Window should open. It sounds to me like what is happening is that you are dropping a MIDI file onto an audio track, double clicking it, seeing the notes in the score window, and hearing nothing. Which is perfectly understandable behavior (if this is in fact what you are doing). You need to become more familiar with the differences between audio files and midi files; and audio tracks and midi tracks. If I am way off here, my apologies. I'm just trying my best guess at sleuthing out what's going on based on the information you have given.

If you want to convert audio to midi you need to to explore these functions in the sample edit window. But know that it is far from being a one step or one click task to execute.

Upvote 0
I double clicked an audio file which opened the Sample editor then went to
Factory>Audio to Score>Process Which brings up the score screen which I ex'd
off of.Then I double clicked the file which looked like it turned to Midi.It played
fine,but you couldn't edit it..I noticed that if I click anywhere in the arrange window it reverts back to Audio..So,I guess you're right it was never truly converted to Midi..I'd like to start using Midi to clean up some of my old files because of the editing capabilities but going thru the growing pains is tough..So how much more would I have to do to make it a real,editable Midi file??

Upvote 0
You need to investigate the Audio to Score function from under the Factory menu in the Sample Edit Window.

Attachments

• Audio to score.png
    Audio to score.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0
I double clicked an audio file which opened the Sample editor then went to
Factory>Audio to Score>Process Which brings up the score screen which I ex'd
off of.Then I double clicked the file which looked like it turned to Midi.It played
fine,but you couldn't edit it..I noticed that if I click anywhere in the arrange window it reverts back to Audio..So,I guess you're right it was never truly converted to Midi..I'd like to start using Midi to clean up some of my old files because of the editing capabilities but going thru the growing pains is tough..So how much more would I have to do to make it a real,editable Midi file??
Like Eli pointed out, getting familiarized with that function could yield the sought result in the 3 steps described here.
The manuals are filled with useful information, providing that you take the time to find them, read and test them. Or if you want to save time and ease tremendously the learning curve, there are excellent tutorials here.
Sorry for the advertising...:D

Upvote 0
Back