Logic Pro 7 & earlier Antediluvian request

I have recently come into possession of a large number of 2.5 floppy discs containing "Notator Creator" (remember it??? the pre-Logic Logic!!) files recorded on an Atari 1040ST. Is there any way that (without getting hold of a 1040ST) I can convert them into files (even if they are only basic Midi files) on my iMac. I know there's some really good music on them.

Have you tried opening them in Logic 9?

I have found that notator/creator files usually open, but they have to have the patterns in an arrangement. If it's just patterns not connected by an arrangement I thinl you'd need an Atari running Notator.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a USB external floppy drive

EDIT: however early versions of Logic Audio need Logic 7 to open, then save as Logic 7 before you can open in 8 or 9.

Upvote 0
Thanks Pete-- I've fired up my old Imation Super Disk which groaned unwillingly into life but the message comes up that the file is unreadable on my computer. (The disk is marked 1989!!!!).

Upvote 0
Thanks Pete-- I've fired up my old Imation Super Disk which groaned unwillingly into life but the message comes up that the file is unreadable on my computer. (The disk is marked 1989!!!!).

Hmmm, I always thought that a mac could read Atari formatted disks. Maybe you need to find someone with a very old Mac. Otherwise I'd ask around local studios, some of them always have an Atari sitting around for just this purpose and they should charge you too much for getting the files onto something your iMac can use.

Upvote 0
This is an ongoing problem Ive been having with the idea of reading old Atari files ( in my case originally Cubase files) since time immoral! lol

NOONE seems to know how to yet everyone claims its possible - or often 'knows someone' who managed to do it in 550 BC

I dont see why its so difficult - it should be a simple matter of someone making a tiny little file format reader (there are other ones for other reasons out there)

Apparently the Macs were supposed to be able to read Atari formatted discs - but I dont think Ive ever been able to do it.

There is an Atari emulator available out there for the PC though - contact me if you like - it would be good to see if youve cracked it as I would very much like to be able to import all my old discs into a modern format if oly for archiving purposes.

cheers,

Upvote 0
same question - newbie girl!

Hello Eveyone!
I've been reading a bit on forums and this one caught my attention. Anyway, i'm happy to find some people who obviously know more than me. Thank you guys!
Here's the thing (please forgive me for being an amateur in my language): i have ca. 15 floppies with music compositions on them. They are all made with Atari Narrator (don't ask me for the details).
My idea is to have them converted and copied on a CD so i could open them with Logic Express. I read it's possible, but it seems people always run on some problems during that attempt :) Where is the catch? Can't it just be converted and opened with Logic? And one more question: since i have never done this before, can you tell me please what is the average price for converting and burning on a CD per floppy?

p.s. i live in Switzerland and if you know someone here or in Germany who could do this for me - i would be endlessly thankfull

Many many thanks
any reply is helpful:):):)

Upvote 0
HOORAH!!!

They said it couldnt be done! But I did it!

After ages trying over the years I've FINALLY found out how to get Atari Files to be read on the PC.

Its possible using two separate programs - the first is WFDCopy which allows your PC to read Atari formated disks via a USB Floppy Drive and then save them as ST (Atari) Disk Images to your PC.

The second part of the puzzle is to then use a program called MSA which allows you to read the saved ST Disk Images youve just saved and (heres the great part!) to 'explore the contents of them - which then in turn allows you to save the individual files (in my case the files being Cubase .arr files.)

Both these programs are relatively very old now but are still available online as freeware. I EVENTUALLY managed to track them both down and am going to post the links here - although there is a good possibilty that moderators here will take those links down.

If they do then you can fire me a direct message and I'll fill you in

Download WFDCopy 1.03 from here: http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/sourceforge/w/project/wf/wfdcopy/OldFiles/

Download MSA 2.1 from here: http://msaconverter.free.fr/index-uk.html

Both programs are relatively easy to navigate around and have instructions in the zipped folder.

What bugs the sh!t out of me is that it should take so long for me to finally figure this out - and how much bad advice I have had to endure over the past 7+ years to do so...

HOORAH!

Upvote 0
Obviously you will then need to open them in whichever program the files were originally created in to then play them/convert them etc further.

In my case they were created in Cubase so I will need to get hold of a PC version of Cubase so that I can then convert them into MIDI files to be read in Logic & Reason.

Upvote 0
Back