Apogee Ensemble

Fr3ShiE

Logician
Hey anyone using one of these things? The band was using some MOTU interfaces and had some issues, even with the ones we then exchanged; so we collectivly decided to step up to the Ensemble. For the price we went from 16 mic pre's to 4??? Where are the other four mic pre's? I'm looking for suggestions on how to best run inputs 5-8 on the Ensemble, anyone work with pre's or the Ensemble have any suggestions? The band just spent 2G's we didn't have and we still can't even record the drum kit? GRRR!

Put simply, you need mic pres for channels 5-8. If you want to do it on the cheap, get an inexpensive regular old fashioned mixer. Plug your four additional mics into that, and take the direct outs into the Ensemble inputs 5-8.

In addition to Eli's obviously practical suggestion, it would, with hindsight, have been advisable to check the specs before buying. There are details as to the type of inputs the Ensemble has here.

If you are looking for a FW unit with 8 Mic Pres, metric halo would be worth looking at, either the 2882, or if your budget allows, the ULN 8. I own both, they are great devices.

kind regards

Mark

You did pay a bundle, but you got REALLY nice A/D converters and a very solid input/output device. You might also look at adding 8 more pres with the Presonus Digimax D8 and run them into the ADAT port. Then you'd have 12 pres (definitely enough to record tracking for a whole rock band) with room to expand a little more as the $$ trickle in... :)
http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=48

Hi Ken,

FTR, I'm a big fan of the Presonsus Digimax FS - which basically does the same thing as far as I can see. Do you know if this new "D8" model is a replacement or remodeled version of the FS?

Thanks so much you guys! I'm saving up for the Solid State Logic XLogic Alpha VHD Pre Microphone Preamp to suppliment inputs five through eight but needed something to do in the meantime. I'm going to try the mixer advice for the moment! Also the PreSonus DigiMAX D8 to use ADAT is great advice, thanks Ken!

Awesome!

After a lot of frustration looking for a two channel interface back when I was starting out, I stumbled upon the DUET; it was a godsend! I still use and love that thing! It's got masking tape scars and all. After so many pitfalls I finally found something solid. Stepping up to the next level is a bit of a choker as you all know.

After looking at the Ensemble I decided for the same money for its four mic pre's I can have 16 Unicorn pre's ready out the box. After two exchanges and buttons litterally falling apart the first month, startup issues, weird artifacts and noises I decided I made a mistake and went the route I should have gone in the first place. You gotta love your interface not be fighting with it.

After settling in, I'm glad it's worked out this way.

Talk to you all soon, much appreciation!

Setup Complete!

So I ended up going with the Ensemble, got two M-Audio AudioBuddy's ($50ea) for Ensemble's inputs 5-8 and am running a PreSonus D8 ADAT optical into the Ensemble.

It feels solid, think I'm finally happy with my interface. As I build projects and start to see stuff happening I'll invest in the better pre's. These'll get me by for now. I didn't check out the Firewire boards. This decision was made, I scratched the face of the Ensemble putting into it's rack.

I'm happy, thanks for the input!

Is it ok to run phantom power to a mic that doesn't need it?

Phantom power will ruin (most) ribbon mics. You are better off to only use it with condenser mics that need it. Dynamic mics don't need it and tube mics have their own power supply. Keep it off until you need it.

Phantom power will ruin (most) ribbon mics. You are better off to only use it with condenser mics that need it.

And this can be an issue with the Ensemble and Logic.

Be careful: there is a nice feature that saves and loads the ensemble setting with a project, but if you have switched your mics around and there is a ribbon in the same input you had phantom power, could be dodgy.

So I ended up going with the Ensemble, got two M-Audio AudioBuddy's ($50ea) for Ensemble's inputs 5-8 and am running a PreSonus D8 ADAT optical into the Ensemble.

It feels solid, think I'm finally happy with my interface. As I build projects and start to see stuff happening I'll invest in the better pre's. These'll get me by for now. I didn't check out the Firewire boards. This decision was made, I scratched the face of the Ensemble putting into it's rack.

I'm happy, thanks for the input!

Is it ok to run phantom power to a mic that doesn't need it?
How do the M Audio Audio buddys sound in comparison to the ensemble and did logic find the new inputs (5-8) automatically..?

Back