Logic Pro 9 Arpeggiator notes, not the chord

pfloyd714714

Logician
Hello

One one track in the Arrange I have a midi region made up of chords. On the track below I have copied that region and assigned it to an arpeggiator, which is properly cabled in the Environment, etc. It all works just fine, except...

When the scrubber bar passes over the chords, the chord itself plays, followed by the arpeggiated notes. What I would prefer is to hear only the arpeggiated notes without the chord playing. I've tried muting/turning down the VI track, but that mutes both itself and the arpeggiator. Is there a way to hear the notes but not the chord?

Jim

I've tried muting/turning down the VI track, but that mutes both itself and the arpeggiator.
This is the problem!
Mute the original midi region using the Mute tool or delete the original region which is placed on the VI track !

Note: By muting the VI track you mute the whole sound device. When you have a region which is on the arpeggiator track and the arpeggiator object is cabled to the VI, then you have a midi path Arpeggiator->Sound device. So you need one midi path only !
In your scenario you have duplicated the regions that's why you have a problem...

Regards,
A.G

Upvote 0
Thanks so much, Tangra. Not only did your advice work, but I actually understood and learned from it as well! So typical of the help available on the LUG.

Jim

Upvote 0
So am I right in thinking it's either one method or the other?

You either set up an arpeggiator track which only works in real time underneath your instrument. This allows you to write notes in the instrument channel and then drag the sections into the arpeggiator track but cannot record the output from the arpeggiator.

Or, you set up an arpeggiator in clicks and ports which does record the midi data from the arp icon in the environment but will only function if you play your chords in live?

Is there really no way of setting it so that you can play in a chord, have the output stream from the arpeggiator recorded for editing on another track and then being able to go back and edit your initial chords??? That's very annoying if that is the case!

Upvote 0
Is there really no way of setting it so that you can play in a chord, have the output stream from the arpeggiator recorded for editing on another track and then being able to go back and edit your initial chords??? That's very annoying if that is the case!
This can be done via various ARP re-routing to the Sequencer.
I just made a simple Environment demo Template which can be updated to more instruments etc. There is a Demo video in the download pack below where I show how to operate. The main scheme is placed in the "Mixer" environment layer. If you want to update the template to more instruments just patch cables from the Cable Switcher to the new Instruments. The Text fader "ARP Control" must be updated according to the number of the instruments you have cabled in the previous step.
Rejoice,
A.G

ARP CONTROL ROUTER v1.0 - DOWNLOAD

Upvote 0
Give the man a biscuit! How the hell did you do that? The second channel on the switch appears to just terminate in the mixer page.. And what is the 'sequencer' element?? I don't get it! Well done and thank you!

Upvote 0
The second channel on the switch appears to just terminate in the mixer page.. And what is the 'sequencer' element??
The answer is in your question "The second channel on the switch appears to just terminate in the mixer page". The second switch cable is patched to the "Input View" monitor object which is in the "Click & Ports" environment layer.
In this scenario the ARP is routed back to the sequencer and you can record the ARP out etc.
You can cross cables thru different environment layers via holding the Option key, clicking the object cable pin and selecting the target object in another layer.
Note, the target object icon must be enabled so it can be displayed in the environment "cross" layers menu during that operation!
Rejoice,
A.G

Upvote 0
Just for reference... I have tried opening two environment windows and dragging a cable from one to the other. That makes logic 9.1.8 crash. So don't do it!

Upvote 0
Back