Arpegiator

ivocruz

Logician
I know it is possible to make an arpegiator object in the environnement window but wouldn't a dedicated plugin to be expected?

The Arpeggiator is a MIDI processor that affects MIDI notes. Right now, Logic doesn't support MIDI plug-ins of any kind. The only way to add MIDI processes is through the Environment. So what you're asking for is really an entire new system in which MIDI processes may be plugged-into a MIDI track without requiring the Environment.

I would love to see MIDI processor plug-ins in Logic!

Orren

Been there, done that. It is messy, complicated and totally uncool.

Boy, I have to agree -- it's über-geeky. Certainly do-able, for folks who enjoy getting under the hood. But that's yet more time siphoned off from music into technology.

Arpeggiators are such a prevalent tool in contemp. music. Unlike just about every 3rd party instrument, none of the Logic native plugins have one. It's like a blindspot amongst the developers.

If they could get a spiffy, easy-to-invoke arpg'r happening, Logic would have a _way_ better chance of attracting the Ableton/FLStudio crowd.

Arpeggiator in the inspector

I think your absolutely right, the arpeggiator should be placed in the inspector like transpose and other midi settings. An arpeggiator check-box meaning cable-switcher on/off is no problem to do and a drop down triangle for settings. The default implementation of the arp should be set up by the software. To have on/off for specific tracks should be necessary and of course the possibility to use automation. Then the arp would be a lot more useful.

By the way, there is a fantastic arpeggiator environment in the Logic template called Compose:Electronic. Very deep. To build this by oneself would take hours.

You can import that environment layer into your own projects...

I'm going to have to chime in on this one, an arp plug-in is waaaaaaay overdue. The environment in general has been a part of Logic that has been 'slow to catch up.' Just the cabling alone makes some people a bit nervous.

Many hardware products such as the V-Synth GT, Virus, and others have gone out of their way to include extensive arpeggiators, but sending that data out when slaving to midi is a bit of a headache. So, I have to agree that the creation of plug-in that can 'update the arp in the environment' when edited would be nice.

I would go so far as to say that arpeggiation can be separate from ES2 and all other plug-ins, and that template arp plug-in (that can be opened from within the synth) would be a streamlined way to proceed. 50 to 60 templates with the ability to program rests and dotted notes would be a minimum; compared to what is already in many hardware synths.

This is part of a larger conversation, as the environment needs some attention in general. It's such a powerful tool, but we have gotten away from it in updates over the last few years. In the early days of Logic, you had to set up everything in the environment to have it reflect/show in the main arrange window. Now, much is possible without doing this. .... it's sort of coming back on us.

In the end, get the arp out of the environment and into the forefront.

Much Respect to my fellow Logic Users... and especially the Senior Members and Gurus!

J Fo

J Fo -
Absolutely agreed...in the meanwhile, however, the arp in the Compose Electronic template is the closest I've seen to a full arp implementation in Logic. The floating palette control (which is actually a tiny modal environment window) with menus allows one to control the arp parameters.

This arp environment can be imported into any Logic project (or template).

Cheers,
mk3

I'm going to have to chime in on this one, an arp plug-in is waaaaaaay overdue.

yeah, I'd have to agree.
I used Opcode Vision DSP back in the late 90's and it had this neat arpeggiator feature which, (if memory serves,) went something like this:

You would enable the Arpeggiator in their version of the "inspector Window,"
and then you would start the transport (in record.)
You'd basically hold down chords on your Rec Enabled MIDI/softsynth channel and you would hear the arpeggiation.
But what was COOL about it was that when you hit stop and stepped into (their equivalent of the hyper-edit-window,) the played arpeggiated notes were there ready to be tweaked, edited or re-ordered or deleted by hand.
Once again, as you held down chords in real time, playing those long notes, you would hear then later SEE the actual arpeggiated notes in the edit window.
Pretty cool for an ancient program running in OS9.

Here I am almost 12 years later with something not as fun, ergonomic or intuitive with the Arpeggiator in Logic Pro 9.

That & the old Galaxy Editor plus Library are what I miss most from those days.

You'd basically hold down chords on your Rec Enabled MIDI/softsynth channel and you would hear the arpeggiation.
But what was COOL about it was that when you hit stop and stepped into (their equivalent of the hyper-edit-window,) the played arpeggiated notes were there ready to be tweaked, edited or re-ordered or deleted by hand.
Once again, as you held down chords in real time, playing those long notes, you would hear then later SEE the actual arpeggiated notes in the edit window.
Pretty cool for an ancient program running in OS9.

I'm sure you already know this; but it's not hard to accomplish this in Logic. It only requires cabling the arpeggiator in between the Physical Input and To Sequencer object in the Clicks and Ports layer. By doing this, the arpeggiation will be captured when a track is recorded.

Granted the arpeggiator itself isn't particularly sophisticated, and it does require a bit of setup. But you _can_ "print" the output of it when recording.

Granted the arpeggiator itself isn't particularly sophisticated, and it does require a bit of setup. But you _can_ "print" the output of it when recording.

By the way, the Arp setup in that Compose Electronic template is already set up this way...

mk3

By the way, the Arp setup in that Compose Electronic template is already set up this way...

mk3

Hey Mk, I'm gonna have to call that template up & check it out.
But if I may ask, is the Arp Object wired to simply record it's output to an audio channel?
I don't care so much about "printing the audio" of the VI producing the arp sounds, what I'd really like is to step into the Piano-Roll editor and "see" the arpeggiated notes, allowing me to apply different quantization (like more swing, for example,) or to delete or transpose notes quickly & easily.
So, just to clarify, is this possible in Logic 9?

For whatever reason, I have not thought this was easy/possible with the Arp Object in Logic.
But do correct me if I am wrong.:eeek:
-What I have been doing is using 3rd party VI's that have Arps built right into them and using their internal features to get what I want.
I'd love to use Logic's synths in a flexible & user-friendly Arpeggiator.
That would make me very happy!

Thanks in advance for your insight.
:hippy:

Hey Mk, I'm gonna have to call that template up & check it out.
But if I may ask, is the Arp Object wired to simply record it's output to an audio channel?

I don't care so much about "printing the audio" of the VI producing the arp sounds, what I'd really like is to step into the Piano-Roll editor and "see" the arpeggiated notes, allowing me to apply different quantization (like more swing, for example,) or to delete or transpose notes quickly & easily.
So, just to clarify, is this possible in Logic 9?

Yes, it is possible, and that is how the arp in the Compose Electronic template works. When the arpeggiator is on, it will arpeggiate the software instrument of the record-enabled track (of course, only while the sequencer is running). You may therefore simply record the MIDI output of the arpeggiator into that track, for further editing as you desired, or even reassign it to a different instrument altogether.

Also, this is what Eli was describing above. The key is the placement of the Arp in the signal chain of the environment. You create such an arpeggiating environment manually, as Eli explained, or even a much more complex one, akin to the one in the Compose Electronic template, via these instructions:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may10/articles/logicworkshop_0510.htm

Best,
mk3

you can also use some reaktor ensemble as arpeggiator (or any other vst sequenced plug-in with midi out capability), btw the lack of midi out for Audiounits (!) forces you to use Bidule as plug-in and then work with VST versions inside bidule, you can then instanciate instruments within bidule, or let the midi go out throu internal Bidule Midi outs and then connect it to logic's sequencer input, so in this way you can control external machine or any audiounit you want, a bit tricky but gives great results :D

Logic Samurai / Administrator,

I don't understand what you mean by MIDI processor plug-ins, Logic does have an extensive MIDI implementation, as much for input, output and in-between processing?

Logic Samurai / Administrator,

I don't understand what you mean by MIDI processor plug-ins, Logic does have an extensive MIDI implementation, as much for input, output and in-between processing?

Yup. Check out the part of Logic called the "Environment."

Orren

Yup. Check out the part of Logic called the "Environment."

Ok, it could be more visually esthetic, but you have a lot of building blocks there to do a lot of things, that other DAW dont have...
You are talking about MIDI plugins, do you have something specific in mind?

Back