Attachments

• Artic ID.png
    Artic ID.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Artic ID2.png
    Artic ID2.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited by a moderator:
I was expecting that great redmatica stuff to for X but it might be for later, honestly I am amazed too with the new features, and can suddenly wait longer for the rest to come :D

I was hoping for a melodyne alternative on logic since few years, now we have flex pitch,and the new midi plugins and new arpegiators oh boy :), the Bass Amps sound great too ! Love the new workflow sum tracks imagine next drums take all redirected in an aux in a couple of clicks and being able to save the preset like any other preset, sometimes more than new feature you want new time saving workflow and the logic team did right again :thmbup: the sample editor track edit makes a lot of sense too. Drummer is really fun too provided you entered a song structure from the global track ...

It was well worth the wait :)

The only thing I miss compared to other software i use is a kind of net collab extension like we can see on ohmstudio.com ...
Remember the rocket network days ? :hippy:

Upvote 0
I'm really impressed with Logic X based on the few hours spent with it so far. I get a sense that more features will come in time. Redmatica anyone?

Articulation ID were previously discussed here:
https://logic-users-group.com/forums/threads/teaser-of-things-to-come.6249/

It's exciting that they're present in Logic X. Notice the ID column in the Event List.

Doug and I were exploring the new articulation ID functions together on Skype last night. It is really very elegantly implemented from what I can see so far.

Open up the orchestral template and select one of the string tracks at the bottom of the Main Window (no longer called the Arrange Window). If it doesn't open already, open the smart controls associated with the selected track/patch. You'll see buttons for different articulations (legato, pizz, stac, etc). Record in a part and press on the buttons as you are recording in order to switch articulations. You'll hear the changes as you are playing. Play back the region and you will hear the multiple articulations. look in the event list and you will see the corresponding articulation IDs.

When you reveal the info pane of the smart controls and select one of the articulation buttons, you will see the associated mapping parameters. I'm guessing (haven't tried it yet) it's fairly simple to map the articulations to an eternal controller here so that you switch articulations using buttons on your keyboard controller.

I'm not quite clear yet on how to set up and/or map these articulation IDs to groups in the EXS 24, but these are early days yet :)

Upvote 0
Eli,

Thanks for adding more details.
A skim through the Smart Controls section of the manual didn't seem to mention Articulation ID.

This feature looks very promising but... as you say, it's still early days.

I'm very much looking forward to tutorials from G3.

Wally

Upvote 0
Articulation ID as Eli's already discovered offers a wealth of possibilities. Right now, to really get a taste for what it can do, check out the Drummer track, where it's implemented. I'm sure that it will be expanded upon in brilliant ways in forthcoming updates. And since now, the need for packaging up upgrade discs, etc. is done, I think that we'll see updates to Logic Pro X even faster than ever-fingers crossed!

Orren

Upvote 0
Articulation ID as Eli's already discovered offers a wealth of possibilities. Right now, to really get a taste for what it can do, check out the Drummer track, where it's implemented. I'm sure that it will be expanded upon in brilliant ways in forthcoming updates. And since now, the need for packaging up upgrade discs, etc. is done, I think that we'll see updates to Logic Pro X even faster than ever-fingers crossed!

Orren

Articulation ID is one of the biggies for me in Logic X for more fluid expressiveness when using MIDI.

Time to bore down into the Drummer Track.
Thanks!

Wally

Upvote 0
Any more info on Articulation ID ?
Still nothing in the online help.....

I've noticed this:
Older EXS24 factory instruments used to use Modwheel to change articulations.
Newer ones in Logic X seem to use ArtID instead, and these come up in the Smart Controls.

It would be nice if the ArtID's could be shown separately from other events, for example in the Piano Roll, so that you could know at a glance what articulation is currently selected.

Maybe in Logic 10.1?

Upvote 0
The Articulation ID usefulness remains a mystery to me...
What Eli describes with the strings is doable, I think, with regular CC, no? For instance, in Kontakt's the intruments articulations are already mapped to keyboard notes and are also customizable.
I am not challenging the Articulation ID idea, I am just seeking some insight that I think I am lacking... Any input would be really appreciated!

Upvote 0
I haven't watched Eli's tutorial to the end yet, so I'm not sure if he addresses this, but this I what I know to date:
- Open the very slick new orchestral template. Notice that all of the instruments have + at the end of their name. In the EXS24 editor, Group tab, make sure that "Select Group By" is visible. Articulation is a choice under Type, with the next column for the number of the articulation. See attachment.

- My key command for Artic ID is ⇧ ⌘D. This creates an ID column in the Event List. Select a range of notes that you want to articulate, then drag in the ID column to the number you need. If the playhead is at a time location beyond one, you'll hear a preview of the articulation.

Repeat for each articulation.

The articulation ID data is visible in HyperDraw.

This is an exciting new development which will be very sweet if it becomes easy to set up 3rd party instruments with articulation ID.

Right now, this process is very eloquently set up in Cubase with its VST Expression. Recent versions can now read the key switches available in an instrument such as in Kontakt instruments. Load the instrument, and Cubase makes them visible without any effort from the user. Just draw them in where needed in the Key Editor.

Attachments

• Artic ID.jpg
    Artic ID.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 275
  • artic 3.jpg
    artic 3.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 246
  • artic ID4.jpg
    artic ID4.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0
Hey Wally,

Nice work sleuthing all of this out! FTR, no; I don't get into this in the videos. It's beyond the scope of an Explained title. But when it is a bit more developed (10.1 maybe?) it might warrant it's own little micro series of videos.

Upvote 0
Hi Eli.

Many thanks for the acknowledgement.:thmbup:

(Like a late night commercial...) "But wait! There's more!!!"

In a new Empty template, insert the EXS24. I loaded the orchestral Strings+ instrument.
With the Smart Control panel open, and toggling the i, click on the top pop up which says Amp Sustain. Navigate in this pop up to Factory Layouts>Strings. This will bring up a nice wood panel with unmapped knobs.

Selecting the first unmapped button gives it a blue halo. Now click in the Parameter Mapping pop up which says unmapped. Navigate to Non-automatable >Main >Articulation ID. Yee Haa!!!

Define the Range Min and Max per the numbers in the EXS24 Editor>Group tab>Select Group By>Articulation columns. Name it, and repeat.

Attachments

• 0 Smart.jpg
    0 Smart.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 263
  • smart 1.png
    smart 1.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 248
  • smart 1a.jpg
    smart 1a.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 260
  • smart 2a.png
    smart 2a.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0
Thanks for the insight CSeye - very helpful.

Regarding Hyperdraw:
Your screenshot shows that Articulation ID 3 is selected, therefore all notes that have this ID will display as in your screenshot. However, you're not really displaying all ArtID's. In other words, notes with ArtID 2 won't display. That part of the menu is a filter - not a choice of event type to be displayed.

I'd ideally like it if *all* ArtID's would show in HyperDraw (now called MIDI Draw by the way), for example as long lines that change as the ID changes. This doesn't happen right now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Upvote 0
CSeye:
I just checked and what you had in your screenshot was simply note velocities being displayed.

There just isn't an option to display Articulation ID's in MIDI Draw.
I've written to Apple to ask for it though....

Upvote 0
CSeye:
I just checked and what you had in your screenshot was simply note velocities being displayed.

There just isn't an option to display Articulation ID's in MIDI Draw.

Right you are!

Wishful thinking on my part expecting it to work as seen below:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I still say it's an exciting new, but unfinished feature in Lx.

Interesting to note that Artic ID is present in the Step Editor (previously known as the Hyper Editor). Again, it simply acts as a view filter. Too bad.

It's been fun probing the possibilities. Perhaps some one else can shed more light on this feature.

Attachments

• Step 1.jpg
    Step 1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Step 2.jpg
    Step 2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0
The advantage of articulation ID is that it is tied to the midi note -- you can move it, duplicate it, transpose it, and the articulation ID will stay attached. No need to worry about managing some sort of separate modulation midi message.

Also, the drop down you are referencing simply sets which articulation ID clicking on the button selects. If you click the button to select that articulation ID, that's the ID that gets recorded into the note events when you go to record a region. The "mapping" has nothing to do with what gets shown in the arrange.

Upvote 0
herr gunstig,

Thank you for adding to this discussion. I can see the advantage of having the artic ID attached to the MIDI note.

Can you elaborate on the drop down list in relation to recording. The only time that Articulation ID is visible in the MIDI Draw menu is after selecting notes, then manually entering ID numbers in the ID column in the Event List.

Clicking on the Smart Control panel buttons e.g. legato, staccato, etc does not enter an ID value whether triggered from an external controller or clicked on screen. No doubt I'm missing a step along the way.

If you have any additional information to clarify how this works beyond what I've stated in this thread, I would be most grateful.

Wally

Upvote 0
The advantage of articulation ID is that it is tied to the midi note -- you can move it, duplicate it, transpose it, and the articulation ID will stay attached. No need to worry about managing some sort of separate modulation midi message.

Also, the drop down you are referencing simply sets which articulation ID clicking on the button selects. If you click the button to select that articulation ID, that's the ID that gets recorded into the note events when you go to record a region. The "mapping" has nothing to do with what gets shown in the arrange.

Ahhh! Brilliant! Now I get it! :)
It is making sense regarding musical interpretation!
Thank you very much herr_gunstig! :thmbup:
If I understand well, those Articulation ID are values attached to a note event, similar to their Velocity values.
So this means that there should be a way to link an Articulation ID # to a specific parameter (i.e. pizzicato). Therefore, when a note event is attributed an Articulation ID corresponding to the pizzicato, that note event will be played pizzicato.
Right?

Upvote 0
The articulation ID gets set as a proper of the channel strip, and then when you go to record a region the current articulation ID gets recorded into the note.

If you look inside of the EXS editor, you can choose an articulation ID number for a sample. This way you could choose for example articulation ID "3" for all pizz notes or what have you.

If you look at the smart control mapping the buttons change the current articulation ID to a specific number, and the label on the smart control just tells you what that number does.

Upvote 0
My mistake was expecting the push of a button, e.g. Legato, to record the artic ID number.

I finally got this figured out. Brilliant indeed.

Thank you herr gunstig. Thank you Apple!

Of course, there needs to be a utility that allows to us to convert 3rd party key switches, or better yet, to "read" 3rd party key switches and convert them the articulation ID numbers.

Please!!!! :D

Upvote 0
Back