Logic Pro (X) Audio all out of sync after optimisation! Please help.

beefyblue

Logician
Hi everyone

Unfortunately I've got a dire situation. On my hands. I was in the process of cleaning up a session and I optimized all the audio files from the audio browser. The project had previously had the tempo beatmapped. When I came back to open the session everything is all over the place sync wise! It's not just like that with one project, but all previous seperate sessions so I can't even revert to a previous session. It's nothing short of a disaster. It's never happened before and I can't wrap my head around how/why it's happened.. I was also in the process of backing up and have no duplicate sessions etc unfortunately...

It's a track on an album that is just about ready to be sent to mix so I'm on a tight deadline with it and it's causing a lot of stress.. A coue of things seem to be playing in sync with themselves, but the drums/vocals etc are all massively disjointed and I really don't know where to turn.

Any help/info/insight on this would be a massive help and I would be eternally grateful. I really need the wolf man to step in on this one. I need to save this situation somehow.

Many thanks
BB

Hello,
Can you post a screen shot so that users here may be able to figure out a way to figure out a solution for putting you files in sync?

The File>Save As... command lets you select all valuable assets such as Audio Files to be copied into the Package or Folder. This ensures that you have a completely intact duplicate project. Do this before any making any significant, or potentially destructive edits to your project. Optimizing Files is a destructive process.

Upvote 0
Here are some screeshots..

The drums seem to be in sync with themselves and the bass. then the percussion, guitars, piano and vocals are all well out and unlistenable. I could try and fix it all manually but that has to be a last resort as I've got a feeling it won't be perfect and it needs to be really..

Could Exporting tempo to audio tracks help with this etc?

Thanks
BB

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 19.48.04.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 19.48.04.png
    527.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 19.48.29.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 19.48.29.png
    598.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 19.48.49.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 19.48.49.png
    554 KB · Views: 239
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 19.48.59.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 19.48.59.png
    498.6 KB · Views: 195
Upvote 0
Before doing anything, make a duplicate of the project (File Save As...) including the audio file assets.

Were these tracks continuous files from start to finish, and edited in place? Or, edited regions shuffled around and placed where needed?

You're saying the drums and bass are in sync. Yes?
In sync with the metronome as well?

Upvote 0
Ok. I will do.. They were recorded as a like take, then I think edited from other takes so they have been shuffled around I think.

The drums and bass seem to be in sync, and everything else is skewed. It's been beat mapped so I assume that is part of the problem. I'll check what the metronome/grid is doing tomorrow and let you know. I appreciate your responses on this! When something like this happens it can.be like being stuck in the middle of the audio desert without any water!

Cheers
BB

Upvote 0
Was just wondering if anyone had ideas on this? I'm in the studio later so am going to create a save as and see what it's like if I try and manually move things..

Upvote 0
Is Flex on for the tracks that are out of sync?
If yes, turn it off.

You can then Export Tempo Information to Audio file.

Upvote 0
There is no Flex on on any of the tracks. Shall I try Export temp information to audio file anyway do you think?

Yes. See if that makes a difference.
If not, then it looks like you'll need to manual align audio regions with the drums and bass tracks which you indicated were playing in sync.

Upvote 0
Hi:

Unfortunately that has happened to me too....very rarely....about 4 times in 8 years. I don't know where the fault lies. The case for me, was I had done a LOT of editing to files. chopping up audo, moving regions around etc.. It happened to me several months ago..(on a early version of 10). Unfortunately there was no solution, except for me to move each audio region back (always make reference mixes as you go along)....It wasn't so horrible for me (the beat mapping) really makes it a head ache for you... but like I said this has been extremely rare. Hope you work it out.

I will make a complete copy of song. save quit Logic, re-start. load copy, and check audio bin to make sure song is reading the new copies of audiofiles. Then I 'optimize' original project. It was an extremely time intensive lesson to learn.. but do this, (disk space is cheap)... When finished, then condense down.

as a further safety measure,. I seperately export each midi file to a folder, in case song file gets completely messed up. I also make liberal use desktop pictures. showing arrange page, any virtual instruments settings etc.. I know it seems a lot, but a couple of times, it has saved me lt of work in reconstruction. a lot of times, an earlier version of song is ok.

but not when you optimize audio.....good luck

Upvote 0
Back