Logic Pro 8 Automating Play: Idea

daveyboy

Logician
Automating Play: (solution for dinosaurs only)

So I was using Play (latest version) yesterday and had a few channels of strings loaded up. I know I can't automate volume as in multimode so I thought I'd try using expression (midi cc#11) as I have a pedal hooked up. Well, sure enough, I could automate any track using this method for volume and not have any conflict! Next I'm going to try making a multi instrument object and using a transformer to change the volume cc 7 to 11 and see if I can't automate that way.

It works fine, after I reset the main play vi to receive midi on all channels (that stumped me for a few minutes). I feel with strings the volume is the main thing I'd want to have more control over so this is very cool. I realize that people are saying to use single instances of play for all your VI's. I like having some of this stuff all in one window ala Kontakt. Now I have a question in regards to automation data. Can you record expession #11 for example and then change it to volume cc#7 using the transform window (or some other way)?

Upvote 0
Bear in mind that East West recommends using separate stereo instances of Play in Logic rather than multis as the load get spread throughout the cores that way whereas all patches in a multi go to a single core.

Upvote 0
Bear in mind that East West recommends using separate stereo instances of Play in Logic rather than multis as the load get spread throughout the cores that way whereas all patches in a multi go to a single core.

I know that but still, you gotta give it to me! :D I've seen many a post of people bitching and moaning about this issue without a real MIDI work around (unless I missed the answer).

Upvote 0

I know that but still, you gotta give it to me! :D I've seen many a post of people bitching and moaning about this issue without a real MIDI work around (unless I missed the answer).

No, I do not :)

The whole multi-timbral thing is IMHO a cary over from the days before software instrument when everyone was using MIDI tone modules, etc. and for most purposes, is not an efficient workflow anymore, especially in Logic.

The bitching and moaning largely comes from those who have not adapted and we all know what happens to creatures on this planet that do not adapt:)

Upvote 0
There is another way that needs 3 steps In the environment:
1) Create a Multi Instrument to use with your Play plugin in multi mode
2) Cable that to a transformer, where you transform cc7 to cc11
3) Cable the transformer to the Channel Strip that has the Play plugin loaded​
Now all the cc7 volume data get transformed to cc11 data before they reach the Play plugin

It works like a charm. You can use your track automation with the volume lane on 16 tracks for all the 16 MIDI channels of the Play instance. You don't even need a separate cc11 external controller. I use the Euphonix MC Control that doesn't send out MIDI cc data and for that it is perfect. I use the Euphonix Fader, sending the volume data to the Play on any of the 16 MIDI channels.

Upvote 0
Now all the cc7 volume data get transformed to cc11 data before they reach the Play plugin

It works like a charm. You can use your track automation with the volume lane on 16 tracks for all the 16 MIDI channels of the Play instance. You don't even need a separate cc11 external controller. I use the Euphonix MC Control that doesn't send out MIDI cc data and for that it is perfect. I use the Euphonix Fader, sending the volume data to the Play on any of the 16 MIDI channels.
Thanks for the details as that's exactly what I did but didn't outline it. I think for certain things it's nice to have stuff in one window, at least if it's an instrument group. That's the way RMX, Ominsphere, K3 works. Then there are those using Bidule who I assume are only using single instances of Play as a multi. Whatever. Back to the tar pits for me.

Upvote 0

Thanks for the details as that's exactly what I did but didn't outline it. I think for certain things it's nice to have stuff in one window, at least if it's an instrument group. That's the way RMX, Ominsphere, K3 works. Then there are those using Bidule who I assume are only using single instances of Play as a multi. Whatever. Back to the tar pits for me.

I do indeed still use RMX in Logic as a multi-timbral, multi-output as there is no real CPU load spreading that occurs when you do not, but for Play and K3.5, you really want stereo instances for load spreading amongst cores IMHO.

But if course, it is your choice.

Upvote 0

Hey Edgar,

Can you be more specific. In Logic 7 I would go to environment. Create a Multi Instrument. Cable that to the Audio Channel strip where PLAY is and in between that place a transformer? How do I configure the Transformer to send cc7 as 11 events?

Thansk in advance.

Upvote 0
I'm not Edgar, but I think I can answer your question. In the top row, set the status to = and then select"control" from the menu underneath that appears. Skip the next field over to the right. Then in the third field that's called Data byte 1, select = again. And then from the menu that appears below it, choose 7. Skip the last field.

Then in the bottom row, skip the first two fields, and then in the third field, choose + again. And from the field that appears underneath it, set it to 11. Skip the last field.

And leave the main flip menu on top of the transformer to it's default setting of: Apply operations and let non matching events pass through.

Upvote 0
Thank Eli
I just want to add that you also have to select the "Apply operation and let non-matching events pass thru" from the top popup menu called " Mode"

Here is how it finally looks like

cc7->11.png

Upvote 0
Edgar - taking this a little OT here, but, just wanted to say - I love your manuals that you've done over the years. I even have a link to them on my personal web site's links page.

Upvote 0
Edgar - taking this a little OT here, but, just wanted to say - I love your manuals that you've done over the years. I even have a link to them on my personal web site's links page.

Thanks for the link. Apple shuts down the homepage service in July so I moved everything over to the web.me.com location. Here is the new link:

http://web.me.com/edgarrothermich/Manuals/

I didn't have much time latelty to write new updated ones. Maybe I continue with Logic9 when it comes out.

Upvote 0
I love your manuals that you've done over the years. I even have a link to them on my personal web site's links page.

Thanks for the link. Apple shuts down the homepage service in July so I moved everything over to the web.me.com location. Here is the new link:

http://web.me.com/edgarrothermich/Manuals/

I'll second Eli's comments, Edgar. Thanks for the new link. I updated it here:

http://www.logic-users-group.com/index.php?q=logic-related-links.html

Oops - BTT :redface:

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Back