Logic Pro X beat mapping moving the tracks instead of beats

edurbrow

Logician
I have a very old track with a recording of a drum machine on it, so it should be easy to sync, but when I click beats from region, it moves the track off of the grid. I had it all lined up to start on beat 2 and the tempo set to be almost matching. I chose 2 bars when it asked because it is a syncopated beat that hits the downbeat every two bars, but that doesn't matter as I tried it with eighth notes and 1 bar and it always moves. What am I doing wrong.
No beat mapping:
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 1.38.29 AM.png

And with beat mapping:
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 1.38.29 AM.png

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

fuzzfilth

Logician
I can't find Waldo on either of the pictures. To me, they look almost....like.....indistinguishable....

Anyway, choose 1/8 (because that's what the first couple of notes appear to be) and choose Tolerate Mssing Or Additional Events..

edurbrow

Logician
Good eye, fuzzfilth. I screwed up and loaded the same picture twice, it seems. The difference would have looked like this:
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 1.38.18 AM.png

I finally managed to do it properly by selecting quarter notes. I had tried bars, two bars, and eighth notes and the regions were shifted from the starting place. So is this the way it always is with beat mapping? Do you have to try lots of different values or the regions move around or was this a fluke?
Thank you,

fuzzfilth

Logician
Absolutely not. In most cases, I know more than Logic does so I don't ask it questions that I already know the answer of. If I Beat map, I use Analyze Transients, then Beat Map manually myself, like this:

map.gif

This is done in realtime, with a click active. It usually takes about twice the running time of the piece (because you'll rewind a bar or two to verify it's right) to get a perfectly matching Beat Map.

Last edited:

edurbrow

Logician
Damn, you're pretty fast.
I was very happy to finally get it to do it automatically as this one is an 8 minute piece. Much of the Drumatix track was the same pattern so it would have to be a pretty stupid DAW not to be able to do that. Of course it was the user who was stupid.

fuzzfilth

Logician
Well, I always find it funny (and this is not at all directed at you) that people complain "oh this is gonna take me eight minutes, why can't it be just one click" and then muck around until they find something remotely similar in a roundabout way that achieves kind of what they wanted but not quite (all of which takes hours to accomplish, or even days of waiting for some forum guys to respond), and then continue to lose time working around the inaccuracies they bought bundled with the idea of one-click, compared to the eight minutes it would take to simply nail it.
It's eight minutes well spent because you did it right and you'll never have to look at this particular area again . You will listen to the damn thing far more often than you'd care to admit, so doing it with a proper reason should be just fine.

edurbrow

Logician
You sort of describe me there. I am guilty of trying to find the reason 'why?' even after I've found a solution or workaround. Since I stumbled on a solution using quarter notes, I've been happily making progress on this project. This time.
The hours/days waiting for an answer is almost always true because most people on this forum seem to be in the U.S.A. or Europe and I'm in Japan. I shouldn't normally be reacting to your post at this time. It is 4:30 am. I should be in bed.
The other problem is, because the conversation on a topic may have great lengths of time in between answers, I'll forget which project I was working on when I asked the question.
I also find that in the effort to frame the question properly, I'll solve it, because writing the question in a comprehensible way often leads me to think about possibilities that I haven't tried. Such is forum life. I'm so grateful to you and other logicians for your help.