The "best" keyboard controller does not exist.
Specify your wishes ("don't care" is a valid specification ;-)
- Generally – simple or sophisticated/programmable? Not sure at this point, but sophisticated with ease of use would be preferable.
- Usage – home, studio, stage, mixed? Home studio and stage
- Music – classical, contemporary, experimental? Ethereal Electronica, EDM, rock, roots ragga ska...
- Prefered instruments – keys, plucked, bowed, blown, all? Keys for this stage of endeavor.
- Size of device – small, medium, big, portable? Medium up and portable
- How many keys – 25, 49, 61, 76, 88? 49 and above
- Which key mechanics – hammer, weighted, semi-weighted, unweighted/waterfall? not concerned at this point, I'm a bass/gtr player, Although I understand and have experienced the feel of weighted keys.
- Aftertouch – none, channel, poly? Don't know at this point.
- MIDI controls for hardware and/or software – buttons, knobs (potentiometer or encoder?), faders, pads? Yes, Yes and More Yes.
- ModWheel and PitchWheel – both? Separate wheels or combined? Yes Yes
- MIDI via USB, MIDI connectors (cables), both? yes, I think.
- Power supply – external, USB, both? Yes, both.
- Price range? I pay for a device that will best interface with the LogicX and its plugins and third party plugins. If the price is up in the thousands I will concider the devise if it fill the requirements which are fluxuating at this point.