Better Audio editing features

jayfolland

Logician
I would like to see a similar zooming feature more like pro tools. I find the screen sets tend to be a little weird, when zoomed in close it looses my spot, regardless whether I have a marquee selection or edit selected/play head etc.
Control+E (I think by memory) on protools makes the Audio region fit to page and it's soooooo helpful, I realize you can fit the sample edit window to page but that just doesn't feel the same. I personally think the way you can edit in logic compared to protools is a little more difficult, in saying that the logic does have some AMAZING editing/navigating features. But when spending hours editing in sample rate, the patients ware a little thin, I personally think it's time for a Zooming/editing upgrade.

Thanks,
Jay

Jay, I'm fairly sure the default key command for what you are trying to replicate ('E' in command focus mode in ProTools), is 'Z' - "Toggle Zoom to fit Selection or all Contents". It may well be something else as I modded most of my commands years ago and I'm not certain which are defaults.
The thing with hopping between the programs is not so much their capabilities, but their respective workflows and naming regimes.

Hope this has been some help.

Hey, I just noticed you're a local!!! ;-)

Hey Matt, yes I am familiar with Z (Auto track zoom) but it only seems to make the track so big, not fit to the screen. I don't know maybe it's just me but I think the editing could be a little more efficient. At the end of the day I'm still a junior and it's only my opinion not necessarily an experienced one either. But aside from Editing and logic doing things without me asking I couldn't ask for much more.
Yes I am a local, we have spoken on the phone, CREEPY hey! Small world, or small Adelaide should I say

Thanks,
Rus

Ah.. the Auto track zoom, like the E key in ProTools, is object based. You need to selct the region you wish to zoom and then hit Z. Maybe it should be called, 'Object zoom to fit screen'.

We've spoken on the phone!! When was that? :)

I'm not in front of Logic now, but I believe the key command you are looking for is control Z. This zooms to fit the selection to the maximum size possible to fill the window. So, select your region first, then hit control Z.

Personal Side note: I personally like using this command when editing backing vocals. I select the three or four vertically stacked regions and it zooms them to fill the screen. Very convenient for tidying up the heads and tails.

Yes I know the one you mean Eli, although thanks for reminding me because I completely forgot about that feature because it never used to work properly in my old problematic bug riddled logic 8. So I'm glad to be using it again its a real treat that one thanks.:))...But I would still love to have a feature that fits the whole region to my screen. Screen shots would be sort of usefull for what I want but when I save one zoomed right in to samples It never zooms to my selection/playhead and it's way too hard to find my place so I have to zoom back out. And if I save a screen shot to a specific spot it rarely goes back to that specific spot. So I gues they are useful for toggling through different settings E.g. "scroll on" with no "grid" vice versa. I also have my "Recall zooms" set which are great, but still no Whole screen. I still seem to be leaning forward all the time. The pic I have attached is as far in as I can get even in samples that's as big as I can get a region, I've tried everything I know how.

What does "object based" mean I assuming a selection i.e. a region, track, event etc?

We spoke a couple of years back, sound related. Adelaide's a small place, too small.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-19 at 9.37.56 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-02-19 at 9.37.56 PM.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 195
Back