Logic Pro X Bir Sur and TC VSS3

HKC

Logician
Hi everybody
I am trying to figure out which plugins that does not supports Big Sur. It's quite a few but most of them states on their website that they soon will. I cannot find anything about TC VSS3 though. Does anybody know....
Also, I have used Sonalksis for ages and they don't support it at the moment but I worry if they plan to. They haven't updated anything for years which has not been a problem because the plugins work very well but what about now.
I am not in a hurry to update but Big Sur is a dealbreaker for some 3rdware companies and I don't want to include their plugins on future projects if they don't plan to be part of the future.

All the best
Henrik

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Henrik

FWIW, the VSS 3 works here in Catalina, no idea about Big Sur. There is a statement on the Sonalksis/Sienda website that they do not currently support Big Sur:

If it all possible, you might consider Catalina instead, or have you a new Mac which already has Big Sur installed?

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0

HKC

Logician
I am on Catalina and I am in no hurry to update. It's a matter of finding out if any plugins will maybe never update again.

Upvote 0

HKC

Logician
Hi again
I heard from Sonalksis, they are not sure if they will make an update. That is quite bad news for me and backwards compatibility but I kind of suspected that some would jump the ship with Big Sur.
It's not a done deal yet but it is very much my point of posting this thread, it may not be a matter of staying on Catalina for a while but maybe more a matter of never upgrading again...or abandoning some brands.

Upvote 0

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, as time goes on unfortunately some plugins do get left behind. Here, moving on to Catalina meant letting go of the TC Powercore stuff (shame that the only ported the VSS3 to native) as well as some older NI Instruments such as B4 and Pro 53. FWIW the Sonalksis Plugins are still OK here in Catalina - you probably already know that....

Upvote 0

HKC

Logician
Yes I use Catalina now. It would be sad if Sonalksis and VSS3 got left behind (again). I have 2 old Macs left in storage be able to open the old projects but it is quite tedious going back so I will make perfectly sure that from this moment I will only use plugins that I am sure will work in Big Sur. Hopefully that will keep me safe for 5 years or so :)

All the best
Henrik

Upvote 0

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
One of the advantages of the old Mac Pro 5.1 is being able to easily swap system HDs or SSDs. Along with my current Catalina system, I kept 2 SSDs, one with Sierra in order to access Logic Pro 7, the other with Mojave to keep those last 32 bit Plugins going. Oh, and Adobe CS 6 ;-)

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0

CSeye

Logician
In my Mac Pro 1,1 each of the four internal drives is setup with two partitions: one for an OS and a larger one for storage. The idea was to run the OS from one drive and save files to the storage partition of a diffifernt drive to optimize drive read/write efficiency, something like that.

Tucked away in the corner is a dual-boot G4 with OS9 and OSX10.4.11. The USB Floppy became a necessity when setting up those systems.

The 2021 Mini which died and may be replaced had a 1TB SSD with partitions for 10.10, 10.14 and 10.15. (The SSD is intact)

A 2010 MBP has two internal drives: 10.6.8 and 10.12.

Now, the M1 Mini has forced me to narrow my focus to just Logic's instruments and plug-ins (I'm avoiding Rosetta 2 for the moment) and an assortment of class-compliant old MIDI controlllers.:D

Before I transitioned from Snow Leopard (10.6.8) to Lion, I made six clones of the 10.6.8 setup, two of which are still in working computers and a couple of external hard drive backups in storeage.

Abode CS6 is authorized on two working computers and a cloned disc image to is ready when a system needs to moved to a new hard drive in a newer older Mac.

Deeper in storage are my Alesis Data Disk and Radio Shack data cassette... The MMT and HR16 are long gone.

So with Carol Kaye playing the bass riff she created..."The beat goes on, the beat goes on."

Upvote 0