Logic Pro 9 Bonjour????

zerobeat

Logician
A technician has turned off Bonjour on a Mac and now Logic 9 gives the erroneous message upon bootup that there is a license error, as if another Logic with the same serial number is booted up elsewhere on the network. But the Mac isn't even plugged into Ethernet, and there is no Airport card, and Bluetooth is turned off (and there is definitely no Mac or network connected in any conceivable way, Firewire or otherwise).

I have no clue what Bonjour is (other than it is required to be turned off for their Internet to work). I have no clue how to turn it back on (a search in the Mac help or Finder yields no results).

I don't know if the two are related either, but the exact same problem happened on a completely different Mac in an identical situation (but with Logic 8), Bonjour turned off but nobody knowing how to turn it back on.

Bring back the dongle!!!!! I've had far more trouble without it in many contexts.

I'm far from an internet/network guru, but AFAIK, "bonjour" is simply a protocol, like "FTP" or "http" or something, so it sounds like when a technician "turns off Bonjour" they are turning off file sharing, or something like that.

What I am sure of, however, is that this has nothing to do with copy protection. The error may mention licensing, but I think that's due to a bug in the wording of the error dialog. At no point is the serial number related to Bonjour-however, sharing key commands and user settings are. In other words, although you ask for the dongle back, I am completely confident that if "Bonjour" were somehow disabled, even with an XSKey attached, the same error message would be received.

The best advice I could give is to try to dig through Logic's preferences and turn off everything related to sharing user settings, MobileMe backup, etc. That is where Logic is accessing Bonjour.

Orren

Upvote 0
I have since found out that Bonjour really is the method that Logic uses to check for duplicate serial numbers, which means that if it's disabled then Logic thinks hacking for piracy's sake is happening.

To turn ON Bonjour, copy/paste this in the Terminal:
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

To turn OFF Bonjour, copy/paste this in the Terminal:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

I disabled it on a completely different Mac and got the exact same error message. Re-enabling it fixed the problem instantly. I wonder if there's a little applet that can enable/disable Bonjour with one click, instead of all this Terminal Jive.

Upvote 0
Back