Logic Pro 9 Busses, Aux's, and Channel Strip Presets

afkatt

Logician
Greetings and thanks for reading-

So, I recently learned how to group two or more virtual instruments in Logic by creating a midi track in the environment. The outputs of each instrument is then routed via a bus (bus 33) to an auxiliary track and then the output of that auxiliary is set to main. I wanted to effect the group as a whole but when I try to add (for example) the dubwise channel strip setting, I'm not allowed (only the "spaces" and "imaging" effects drop-down menu appears. However, when I reset that aux input to "no input", I'm allowed to choose the dubwise preset. Then when I choose the former bus input (bus 33), I can seemingly use the dubwise preset.

My question is two fold:

1. Why is this happening and should I not use the presets this way? It seems I'm "tricking" Logic into letting me use this dubwise preset, but if I have to do it this way, it must be wrong.

2. Can you direct me to a solid tutorial or set of instructions for setting up channel strips in the environment that I can use these effects on? Or how to directly effect that midi track I initially created in the environment?

Thank you!

To my mind it could be something to do with the aux channel setting (mono, stereo, surround.) do you have the aux sourced from a surround channel?

Upvote 0
Audio Tracks, Instrument Tracks, and Aux Tracks, each have their own unique banks of channel strip settings. You can't load an Instrument channel strip setting onto an Aux track.

It sounds like you've found a nice creative work around! There's nothing wrong with that :D

I just tried it and can confirm that your "trick" indeed does work. It's the only way I can think of to 'force" an audio or instrument channel strip setting onto an Aux Track.

Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
Hi

Audio Tracks, Instrument Tracks, and Aux Tracks, each have their own unique banks of channel strip settings. You can't load an Instrument channel strip setting onto an Aux track.

To 'force' other channel strip types to be made available in the channel strip settings menu, simply hold down Option whilst you click-hold on the Settings button.

CCT

Upvote 0
I'm curious, did you learn this from a source/tutorial, or were you just experimenting and figured it out? If its a tip from somewhere, can you share it? I'm always looking for new ways to approach this gargantua called Logic.

And with that in mind, if you're not already familiar with him, let me share this from speedupmydaw in Germany, also doing cool things with Logic, and 'sold' as a methodology or 'workflow' (mostly for using Ultrabeat in a flexible manner):
http://www.youtube.com/user/speedupmydaw/videos

Greetings and thanks for reading-

So, I recently learned how to group two or more virtual instruments in Logic by creating a midi track in the environment.

<snip>

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Back