Buy SSD-disk or upgrade RAM?

gomezkebab

Logician
Hey,

I own a Macbook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012, Memory: 4 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3, 500GB SATA.

I'm running Logic Pro X 10.2 on Mavericks. I frequently get "system overload" message in Logic. So now I wonder which upgrade option will improve the performance on my Macbook.

I'm considering between these 2 options to speed up my Macbook:

1. Upgrading RAM to 8GB Crucial (2 x 4 GB sticks) + buy a Samsung SSD 750 EVO 500GB

OR

2. Upgrading RAM to 16GB Crucial (2x 8GB sticks) + buy a Samsung SSD 750 EVO 500GB

Or should I first buy a SSD-disc and then upgrade RAM to either 8 or 16GB?

michaelo

LUG Emeritus
Firstly you probably should be running at least El Capitan for better CPU performance with Logic. Your ram is too small. Most would probably say 16 gig is a minimum. It's possible also you have a slow 5200 rpm drive so an ssd would be a huge performance boost, the machine would be way snappier and probably stop the system overload messages. I would upgrade both as much as you could afford as they are important for performance together. Remember to leave a sizable chunk of free drive space above what you need for storage (maybe 20%) as the OS needs it for operational tasks.

madelefant

Logician
Maybe go with upgrading to 8 GB ram and a 240 SSD. You can get an external USB 3 SSD by Samsung pretty cheap and not have to do anything special. Samsung 240 GB external is 119 at Best Buy.