Logic Pro 8 Can I make Ghost copies of audio files in Logic?

bildad

Logician
Hello all!
I have a question regarding Logic Express 8: When I copy and audio file, say a loop, does the copy double the amount of disk space used or its there an option, as in Cubase, to make ghost copies (like aliases) that just reference and repeat the original ? I can't seem to find this in the manual. The "repeat" function does not seem to offer this option. Does anyone know about this?
Thanks,
Bildad

Creating copies of an audio region in Logic's arrange window, typically by Alt-dragging or looping, does not by default create new copies of the audio file on your hard drive.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Actually, copying audio regions never creates a duplicate audio file - neither in Logic or Cubase - it just creates a new region that points to the same audio file.

A ghost copy in Cubase, called alias in Logic, goes one step further than that, as in that any nondestructive editing you do to the original region will be applied to all aiases/ghost copies too.

Maurits.

Upvote 0
Have a look at the manual page 401 "region clones".

Hold Option/shift while dragging the original region.

Although (sadly) any parameter changes (e.g. gain) you do to the original doesn't affect the clone, but length changes do.

Upvote 0
No clue about Logic Express. Tons of good stuff is missing there. The following is about Logic Pro, and may or may not apply to Express.

There are three kinds of "use the audio region again in the Arrange" methods:

1) Option Drag, or Copy/Paste. This is the same source audio from the hard drive, but it's a new region definition.

2) Shift+Option Drag, or drag the same region from the AudioBin to the Arrange. This is the same source audio from the hard drive, and it's the exact same region. So if you changed the length of the first region, the second region would obviously change, since it's the exact same region.

In both cases above, if you did some destructive DSP (say, Normalize), then both would change because they're all culled from the same source data from the hard drive. The exception is doing time compression/expansion directly in the Arrange, which automatically makes a brand new audio file on the hard drive.

3) Arrange > Audio menu > Convert Region(s) to new Audio File(s). This should be self explanatory. You now have a brand new audio file on the hard drive independent from the original. In Logic 9 you can find this feature in the contextual menu (typically using Right-click).

Also in every case above, the Region Parameters (Loop, Delay, Fade etc...) are independent for every audio (or MIDI) region in the Arrange.

Upvote 0
Back