Logic Pro (X) Can NOT get panning to work!

CoalChuteRecords

No matter what I've tried. I've ensured that the tracks are mono. I've restarted both Mac and Logic many times. Opened new projects and recorded audio tracks numerous times. I'm running through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and the Scarlett Mix Control app. I've checked that my monitoring setup has both channels working... when I mute L ch or R ch in Scarlett Mix Control, the speakers turn off and on as they should. But, any mono track, when I pan back and forth, whether from the Logic mixer, or the track pan knob... DOES NOTHING. Can you help?

If you pan a mono channel, do the meters on Logic's Stereo Out reflect this ? If yes, the problem lies outside Logic, quite possibly the Scarlett Mix Control app making things mono. If not, there may be mono plugins on the Stereo Out, assuming nothing else is between the panned channel and the Stereo Out.

Upvote 0
I have no experience with focusrite control app but is the source mix sent to the monitor outs stereo? I see that mix 9 and 10 are mono
Thanks much for the reply Ab.... but, I'm not sure what you are saying... quite. The source mixes that I've been sending are single mono guitar tracks on their own single mono channels. When I used to play them back in Logic on my MacBook Pro, I could simply adjust the mix to put one left and the other right... and adjust to my heart's content. But, since I downloaded the new Logic onto a new iMac, I can't pan anything. The mic inputs go into channel 1 & 2 on the Scarlett and out through the USB connection to the iMac. I know that L & R are working on my monitors because when I mute L or R on the Scarlett software controller mixer, the proper speaker mutes. But IN Logic, panning won't work...

Upvote 0
Christian-- great thought. The stereo out meters in Logic do NOT reflect it when I pan a single mono channel. And, the Stereo Out has no plug ins on it at all.

Upvote 0
I think I once had an issue like this, and it turned out the channels I was sending to on the Scarlett Mix Control app were panned to the center. Maybe you have a different issue, but that's what happened to me.
*EDIT* I just saw your reply to Christian, and if Logic's meters aren't showing the panning, then something else is amiss. Is the mono guitar track sending directly to Stereo Out, or is it maybe going to some hidden Aux that's constricting the stereo field?

Upvote 0
No matter what I've tried. I've ensured that the tracks are mono. I've restarted both Mac and Logic many times. Opened new projects and recorded audio tracks numerous times. I'm running through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and the Scarlett Mix Control app. I've checked that my monitoring setup has both channels working... when I mute L ch or R ch in Scarlett Mix Control, the speakers turn off and on as they should. But, any mono track, when I pan back and forth, whether from the Logic mixer, or the track pan knob... DOES NOTHING. Can you help?
Have you, as part of the process, included an imported midi file from a notation program? if so, the imported attributes, pan, velocity etc., have to be canceled in the list editor.

Upvote 0
Back