Logic Pro 9 Can't delete unused audio files into trash

Voice Man

Logician
Hi friends,
I'm experiencing a glitch with Logic Express 9.0.1. Trying to save disk space but I can't delete Unused Audio Files into the trash. These are only mic-recorded audio files. I've followed the proper steps: open Media. choose Edit>Select Unused, choose Audio File>select Delete Files. But noooo, Delete Files is greyed out. Obviously Control/Delete won't work either. Choosing Edit>Delete does delete, but doesn't put the files into the trash. Me and my buds can't find the problem. The obvious solution is to archive the files on flash media, keep my templates on the hard disk, and trash the audio files manually. Considered updating to 9.1.1 but must upgrade to Snow Loepard. But alas, I can't do that because this G5 isn't dual Pentium. Last resort, reinstall LE9 and try to save settings and templates, but that scares me. Any ideas?

Logic Express 9.0.1. MAC Dual 1.8 GHz Power PC G5, OS 10.5.8, 2.25 GB RAM, Apogee Duet Pre, Electro-Voice RE20 mic

Are you sure you are selecting the actual audio file itself and not just an unused region associated with the file.

Upvote 0
Hi Eli,
Thanks for your reply. As far as I know, I'm selecting the actual audio files. All I'm doing is following the instructions in David Nahmani's LP/LE 9 book which begin on page 121 with the title "Deleting Unused Audio Files."

Upvote 0
Make sure you are selecting the file name where it has the disclosure triangle, and NOT the actual region that is disclosed when the triangle is pointing downward.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I'm sure sure what you mean. The only disclosure triangles I see in the audio bin are open to reveal files. (I wish I could attach screen captures to show you what I'm seeing.) In this case, under Name, there are headings with triangles pointing down -- for instance: Original#01.wav. To their right is displayed "44100 24 Bit etc. Open below them are files which correspond to regions. When I Select Unused under Edit, many files are highlighted, but not the headings. Opening the Audio File drop down reveals that Delete Files command is greyed out.

Upvote 0
If you want to include screen captures, just use the "Grab" application. It's in the Applications: Utilities folder. For peculiar problems, a picture can truly be worth...

Jim

Upvote 0
Thanks Jim,
I actually used Grab to make some screen captures to illustrate this situation, but when I want to include them in the post using the Insert Image command I'm asked for a URL where the images reside. Right now they reside on my desktop and not a web site.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I'm sure sure what you mean. The only disclosure triangles I see in the audio bin are open to reveal files. (I wish I could attach screen captures to show you what I'm seeing.) In this case, under Name, there are headings with triangles pointing down -- for instance: Original#01.wav. To their right is displayed "44100 24 Bit etc. Open below them are files which correspond to regions. When I Select Unused under Edit, many files are highlighted, but not the headings. Opening the Audio File drop down reveals that Delete Files command is greyed out.

Hi Voice Man,

When you reveal the regions with the disclosure triangle, it shows the regions associated with each file. It's important to understand that those are not audio files that are showing. They are merely regions associated with the parent audio file.

So when you invoke the select unused command, it is selecting unused regions. It seems that there are no unused audio files in your project, and that is why it is greyed out. If invoking "select unused" did select an actual audio file that was unused, then there would be something to delete from the hard drive and the delete command would be active. There is nothing to remove from the hard drive in your case, since no actual audio file was selected as unused. It seems every audio file has at least one region used in the Arrange Window.

So, to sum up:

* "select unused" selects unused regions and/or audio files.

* Unused means "not used in the Arrange Window" .

* The delete command will be grayed out when there are only regions that are unused.

* And it will be active when there are actual whole audio files that are unused.

Hope this makes sense!!

Upvote 0
Hi Eli,
Wouldn't you know, something that's obvious and logical would bypass the right side of my brain. Well, duh, no unused audio files mean nothing to delete! Thanks for your patient explanation. Much appreciated. Onward!
-- Voice Man

Upvote 0
Back