Logic Pro 8 Can't figure out how to access plugins?

Stevehwan

Logician
Everything I check out always assumes that my sub channel is set up to look like theirs. It doesn't show everything the "manual's" graphic is showing. There is no I/O box, sends and inserts where they show, only a Rev, Chor, and Freq knobs. Please email me to let me know I have a response. I don't know how to navigate through this forum well yet. I seem to end up in some different area every time I visit. Sure do miss "Notator".......
Steve
www.stevecoxjingles.com

Well I think rather "everyone". The people can just not answer because they are sitting there with red heads and big eyes, gasping for breath ;)

You should really take the manual and go step by step through it, learning about the different channelstrips for example. And load some of the predefined templates to get hands on the things that are mentioned in the manual. Logic is a huge and complex application. It is quite normal that you get no sound at all and understand nothing when you just look at it. There is definitely a learning curve.

Btw, the channelstrip you mentioned in your first post is a MIDI channel. You can't put an instrument plugin into a MIDI channel. Instrument channels are for that, but the manual will tell you everything you need to start with Logic.

Upvote 0
Thank you Peter, but that doesn't answer my question as to "How do I access my EZ Drummer Plugin?" The manual assumes that my sub channel shows an I/O box, sends and inserts but it only shows a Rev, Chor, and Freq knobs. If I appear anxious please forgive me. This is my living and I lost the whole day on this.

Upvote 0
[I said:
but the manual will tell you everything you need to start with Logic.[/I]

Please help me to understand why there is a users forum here if when I post a question, I am simply refered to read the manual? I looked around on the forum first looking for answers so that I could avoid being told this. I didn't find my answer, and did find similar issues but didn't see them refered to "read the manual" so I posted. I am extremely dyslexic and figured I might get some help here. Unfortunately, well.... I'm just going to bow out here. Sorry to have inconvenienced or adjitated anyone here.:confused:
God Bless,
Steve

Upvote 0
Problem solved. A beginner user on another forum helped me out. In about 30 seconds we had it up and running. Thanks anyhow. No worries.
God Bless,
Steve

Upvote 0
:redface:Well, I came here with a legitimate need and a handicap and the administrator tells me "read the manual". I guess then I don't understand the purpose for the forum??The need was a serious one. I don't just dink around with a laptop and a set of headphones here. I run a 10' combination digital and analog console, 9 macs,
(between studio A and B) a drum room, performance room and guest apartment, thousands of dollars of software to include Logic. I have till the 18th to complete 7 of 10 songs for this group from Millwaukee and have lost the whole day with this problem. I promise you, if I knew some one had that serious of a situation and I knew about it? I would have no problem to give them a call on the phone even and tell them how to fix it. I darn sure wouldn't tell them to read the manual.
I had a bad first experience here......:redface:

Upvote 0
Steve, you didn't know the difference between a MIDI track and an instrument track in Logic but finished a couple of songs after you found this detail out? This is impossible under normal circumstances.

Is it probably the case that you got a Logic file and just needed to get it running to finish a production? Or that you use Logic all the time but only with audio, not with virtual instruments?

I don't wear my administrator hat, I talk as a normal user who tries to help another person. The suggestion to check the manual is not per se a bad thing if you feel that the questioner has not enough knowledge to work with the information you can give. It was obviously not the right way in this case but I am interested to avoid such communication problems. That's why I would like to know what the real situation was.

Upvote 0
Hey Steve,

I don't mean to jump into the middle of what has turned into a bit of a private thread, but just thought I'd offer some thoughts on this all.

There is a certain sort of "social contract" on these forums. It is expected that posters have, at the very least, a basic grasp of the software. This serves several purposes. It weeds out people using pirated versions, and it also sets a bar for a basic minimum level of the quality of discourse.

The question you asked was just a little too basic. Part of the "social contract" is that the poster has made, at the very least, a minimal attempt to investigate the problem on his own first. I don't mean to sound insulting, but this is probably why no one took the time to respond (other than one of the admins).

Upvote 0
Hey Steve,

The question you asked was just a little too basic. Part of the "social contract" is that the poster has made, at the very least, a minimal attempt to investigate the problem on his own first. I don't mean to sound insulting, but this is probably why no one took the time to respond (other than one of the admins).

I am not sure, but I think I mention that I spent a full day on this single problem. The software came bundled with I believe my copy of Lepord or maybe Tiger. Non the less being Dyslexic makes it hard to read things backward then forward several times to understand it. Believe me I hate bothering people to explain things to me in laymans terms. It's been 53 years of this. I mastered "Notator" back in the day and when Logic started, I did spend quite a bit of time with it. (Logic Silver,Gold then Apple joined in) I am not ignorant of sequencing with Logic. Before I had the 256 track studio, I only had 8 tracks and used Notator then Logic to run all the keyboard modules so that I had one track for SMPTI striping and 7 for virtual vocals. I could get into cc codes and non drop frames and lots of stuff. Just didn't think I would have to go through the 33 years of studio career to prove myself just to ask how to get the plugins to show up in Logic.:D
God Bless,
Steve
www.stevecoxjingles.com

Upvote 0
Eli! I just checked you out... YOU HAVE DVD TRAINING. DU-HU-HUDE! I can learn instantly by watching it. I learn everything almost on the spot from seeing or hearing. Reading/writing is a nightmare for me. Please send me an email. We gotta talk.

Upvote 0
Hi Steve,

My intention wasn't to sell videos, but actually - you would probably really benefit from them! Given that you already have a background with audio and MIDI, you'll probably pick things up in no time.

You can get to them from the link in my signature. I don't have your email address, but feel free to email me if you need any more information. My email address is below.

Upvote 0
I love happy ends :)

As you said, Eli, this thread leaned over to the private side. But Steve and me had already a nice chat via email and we settled in peace. It was indeed a very special situation.

EZ Drummer is playing without the help of the LUG, Steve gets his videos, Logic 9 does not work at all if I understand the comments right and it will soon start to rain here in Vienna. What else can we expect from one day? It's not raining in the LUG, maybe I stay overnight if you don't mind; I've seen a red couch in the lounge.

Upvote 0
Back