Logic Pro (X) Can't hear previous take during recording pre-roll

LeeMaine

Logician
Hello all,

I typically record vocal ideas by doing one region at a time, with the metronome going. I want to be able to hear the previous take (which is on the same track) when I'm recording a new region, during the 2 bars of pre-roll. This gives me the cue of where exactly to start singing. But I can't hear anything during those two bars, except the metronome of course. Can you help me with whatever series of steps I need to take to do this? I would like it to be the default. Thanks!

Since I posted the above, I found this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Although I'd rather not have to be attached at the hip to my computer while recording my vocals, it seems this is the only way... since you apparently have to hit "R" right when you're about to record. If anyone knows of a more ProTools-like way, please let me know!

LeeMaine

Last edited:
How about a different approach - have a think about restricting yourself to using just one track. Any particular reason for doing it that way?

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
You don’t have to hit R manually to start recording. Use the Autopunch feature. You set the punch in and punch out points the same as you would set the loop locators. It works awesome.

Upvote 0
How about a different approach - have a think about restricting yourself to using just one track. Any particular reason for doing it that way?

kind regards

Mark
When I mix it, it's easier to have fewer tracks of vocals, unless of course the vocals are harmonies, and although I could edit them into one track, that's more work. It's easier to see fewer tracks in the mix or tracks view. I'm really surprised there seems to be no way in Logic to hear your previously recorded vocals during pre-roll. That was just a given in Pro Tools.

Upvote 0
You don’t have to hit R manually to start recording. Use the Autopunch feature. You set the punch in and punch out points the same as you would set the loop locators. It works awesome.
I haven't used autopunch yet in Logic. Would that let me hear pre-roll? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Check that you have Input Monitoring off. (the green I) this way the previously recorded line will play and you just drop in. I do this as I'm build riffs throughout a phrase. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I haven't used autopunch yet in Logic. Would that let me hear pre-roll? Thanks.
It sure does. Make sure the Autopunch button is available by right clicking on your tool bar and check the Autopunch box. When you press the button on your project, a new locator bar opens below the loop one, marked in red, and you can adjust the punch in and out points with that. Set your pre-roll as desired, hit play and go.

Attachments

• 11F93707-7702-4640-A323-AD4200BF9C5C.jpeg
    11F93707-7702-4640-A323-AD4200BF9C5C.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 325
Upvote 0
Check that you have Input Monitoring off. (the green I) this way the previously recorded line will play and you just drop in. I do this as I'm build riffs throughout a phrase. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Hi Gio, thanks for your response. I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Whether or not I have Input Monitoring on, I can't hear the previously recorded line if I'm in record mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Gio, thanks for your responde. I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Whether or not I have Input Monitoring on, I can't hear the previously recorded line if I'm in record mode.
Also, for me it's an orange "I", and I'm not sure what it does as I haven't discovered a difference.

Upvote 0
It sure does. Make sure the Autopunch button is available by right clicking on your tool bar and check the Autopunch box. When you press the button on your project, a new locator bar opens below the loop one, marked in red, and you can adjust the punch in and out points with that. Set your pre-roll as desired, hit play and go.
Hi Hexclock, There is no autopunch for me. Check this out:
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 5.38.34 PM.png

Upvote 0
right click in the controlbar, select "customise control bar and display", this will allow you to select Autpunch(second from the top in the Modes and Functions list on the right. Should look like this:
Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 23.51.53.png

Upvote 0
right click in the controlbar, select "customise control bar and display", this will allow you to select Autpunch(second from the top in the Modes and Functions list on the right. Should look like this:View attachment 2257
Hi Mark, did you see my screenshot above? That's all I get when I right click, and it says "customize toolbar", not "customize control bar". I don't know where the control bar is, but I right clicked everywhere, and the only option I got was to "customize toolbar". Thanks.

Upvote 0
Back