Catalina/edit/USB

lcollen1

Logician
I just made the jump to Catalina and although I waited until all my music software was made compatible I still get crashes in Logic X v10.4.7 all the time.

If I just perform tracks everything’s stable but then as soon as I move notes or alter anything I get 2 or 3 edits in and Logic and the whole Mac crashes.

I thought perhaps it was only happening with new projects so I opened an old one and it happened there as well.

As I’m not particularly tech. savvy I’ve no idea where to look or what to look for. So…HELP!

Also this might or might not be connected-some (but not all) USB devices are really slow to load like an SSD where I store a lot of plugins.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 16 GB memory

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
When you say "the whole Mac crashes" do you mean, you have to restart? If so, that would indicate that you have a problem associated with hardware or some driver. Unfortunately, tracking down the cause of an app or system crash requires a lot of detailed information, a place to start would be if you have any crash logs.

kind regards

Mark

lcollen1

Logician
Thank you for the response Mark
Yes that's precisely what I mean. I need to do a restart.
I've also noticed that since going to Catalina the boot up sequence seems much slower. Is that just my imagination or have you seen that also?
If that log is a likely place to look I'll need to wait for next crash to copy that. I have to say though that when I've looked at them, in the past, I haven't seen much useful information in there. But that could certainly be just because I don't what would to look for.
So are you advocating that I send that log to you?

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
Is that just my imagination or have you seen that also?
I'm still on Mojave, moving to Catalina is not trivial for me, my studio Mac is a 5.1 Mac Pro, which Catalina doesn't support.

So are you advocating that I send that log to you?

If you can post a log as an attachment here, perhaps someone might be able to point to a possible cause of your problem.

kind regards

Mark