Logic Pro 8 Changing Key

mk3

Logician
Hello -

What is the most efficient way to change the key of an entire existing project?

My method thus far has been to select all MIDI regions and use the Transposition function of the Transform window. This becomes a bit tedious in the midst of a session, especially if one has MIDI tracks organized into various track folders, and it's too easy to miss a region or two.

Also, what about transposing any audio that has already been recorded?

Thank you for any guidance....

mk3

What about using the global transposition track in the global tracks? For audio, you'd need to turn them into apple loops first. Or transpose them individually via the time/pitch machine in the sample editor.

Upvote 0
just to chime in here. In my experience the global transpose feature is buggy (esp. if later you need to futz with things). I would recommend rubber banding and transposing all tracks. If you check the 'nontranspose' box on the drums, those should be safe from changing. Audio, if recorded in Logic, you can also do in arrange. However if it is critical, you get a much better sound by merging each audio track and then doing an offline transpose in the pitch factory (or whatever fancier plugin you may own.) best, jamie

Upvote 0
What about using the global transposition track in the global tracks? For audio, you'd need to turn them into apple loops first. Or transpose them individually via the time/pitch machine in the sample editor.

That's a good idea...except: Will the parts as shown in the Score editor properly show the new key? It's confusing if the transposition occurs audibly but not visibly (i.e. in the various edit views, such as Piano Roll and Score).

...mk3

Upvote 0
They actually do show up transposed in the MIDI editors when you use the global transposition track. Just as they do when you use the region parameters.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but like Jamie, I also prefer doing it the old fashioned way - with the region parameters. As cool as the Global tracks are, I still resist the idea of things like this being done globally for me automatically. I like having the individual control of the regions separately, even though it's initially a few extra steps to get the job done. I feel like things are more under my control this way, and that I'm not fighting with Logic to see who's boss.

Upvote 0
Back