Logic Pro 9 Changing tempo within song

tommytunes

Logician
I am trying to change the tempo of 7 audio tracks when I get to the first chorus. One track is a .wav file recorded as a click track. I have split the tracks at the point of change but when I change the tempo the whole click track changes. What am I missing?

When you say the whole click track changes, do you mean that even though it is split at the tempo change position, it then changes before the tempo change?

Upvote 0
I have the track split at play head, which is at the point I wish to increase tempo. Yes when I increase the tempo in that split reagon, the whole track changes.

Upvote 0
Hi Tommy,

I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. What exactly do you mean by "when I increase the tempo in that split region"?

How exactly are you increasing the tempo? Is it with a tempo event in the tempo list that's placed at the position where the regions are split?

Upvote 0
Before talking with Apple on this subject I had made my changes in the little tempo window at the bottom of the screen...that's what changed the whole track. Now I am making the change in the Global Track window. I increased the tempo from 120 to 150 @ my split point but still I have the same tempo in all tracks from the speakers, except now in the tempo window at the bottom, the change shows the increase.

Upvote 0
Before talking with Apple on this subject I had made my changes in the little tempo window at the bottom of the screen...that's what changed the whole track. Now I am making the change in the Global Track window. I increased the tempo from 120 to 150 @ my split point but still I have the same tempo in all tracks from the speakers, except now in the tempo window at the bottom, the change shows the increase.

No wonder you were having problems. Changing the tempo in the transport at the bottom of the window does NOT put in a tempo change. It just changes the whole tempo globally. If you are changing it in the global tracks you should be fine.

But now, re-reading your original post with this new information, the problem was not really explained properly. In your original post you talked about splitting a file of a recorded click track, changing the tempo, and then the tempo of the click track changing. I thought you meant the tempo of that recorded click track changed. But now I am fairly sure you mean that Logic's metronome click tempo changed. Which is a completely different situation.

The tempo changes are working fine in the global track. The problem is that regular wav files do not follow tempo changes. Unless they are acid loops. They play back at a constant speed regardless of the tempo in Logic's transport. So now what I understand "the whole click track changes" to mean is that the metronome click is different and the recorded click track files are the same. Am I understanding the situation correctly now?

The solution is to convert the wav files to aif files and then use Flex editing to have them follow the tempo changes. Or else convert them to apple loops to follow the tempo.

Upvote 0
Actually, the visual on the click track changes at the point of change. So I believe something has changed in the wav file. All of the tracks were imported from my Korg D888 which exports as wav files. Now that you have said wav's don't change I'll bounce the tracks out and re load them as aff's. Is this what you mean?

Upvote 0
The visual on the wav file changing when the tempo is changed is normal. Think about it - you are placing the same waveform data over either more or less time. If it didn't change, that would mean it is following the tempo!

You don't need to bounce the tracks out. Just go into the audio bin and use copy/convert and change them to aiff format. Then use flex editing on the tracks to get them to follow the tempo changes. Read up on flex editing in the manual.

Upvote 0
Back