Logic Pro X Changing what the ruler shows

This should be simple. I can find a View menu that lets me add a secondary ruler which shows a time line, but it starts at minute 1 instead of minute 0. The manuals I have say refer to Preferences > General > Display which doesn't exist, but Preferences > Display > General does. There I can set the time display to minutes, seconds, etc, but there is nothing there to set the start time.

Searches for Rule tell me that there is a ruler that can be displayed in various ways, but no specific on how to do it. Changing the options for the LCD didn't get rid of the minute 1 start time.

I'm stumped.

How do I change the main ruler to show time in min:sec: starting at zero, without a secondary ruler?

I think you are referring to the Hour. The time display is HH:MM:SS.xxx, so you are seeing the first hour of the recording. What you want to do is go to "File>Project Settings>Synchronization" and click "Enable Separate SMPTE View Offset", adjusting the "view time" which is below the checkbox to have "00:00:00" set for viewing. The annoying 01:00:00.000 should change to have no leading hour...

Or if you don't synch with video just change the "Bar position 1.1.1" plays at SMPTE 01:00.00 to 00:00:00, either way.

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
No, there is only one timeline. You can just move the start time/position.

If the issue is the start of the project, you can shift it. In the screenshot below is what I do, because I want some space before the beginning to setup special plugins or hardware. I shifted the beginning one bar to the left and set the time to zero at bar 1.