Logic Pro 9 Choose takes on multiple tracks simultaneously

cRAZY_tALK

I've had a search around and found nothing of use, and I don't think there was anything in the Logic Manual about this, so I signed up here to ask this.

Is there a way that I can have take folders on several different tracks and group the tracks somehow so that when I change my take comp on one track, it does exactly the same thing on the others?

For example, I have a drumkit recorded with 8 mics on 8 separate tracks. We have 5 takes of a song and want to pick and choose bits and pieces from each take to make a comp. Is there a way that I can set up all of the individual tracks so that when I choose a take or quick-swipe a section of a take, it will change all 8 tracks instead of me having to go through and select them all individually? It would save a ton of time and also be more accurate when trying to get several comp sections to start/end in exactly the same place.

I have a vague memory of seeing someone doing something similar in Protools once, but I have never seen or heard of it done in Logic. If it's not something that can be done, then that's something else to go on the wishlist for Logic 10.

Thanks

Yep, you need to assign the tracks to the same group, just below the channel output selector. In the groups editor (which should appear automatically, if not its the top option on the list of groups) under settings, enable "Editing (selection)" deselect automation, volume and mute if you don't want them to link (ie they'll all change volume if you change one if you don't!) and you should be good to go, works for flex view as well, although if you've moved one of the files on the time line relative to the others, the phase-locked audio won't work, although everything else will.

Upvote 0
This seems to work for everything except making changes within a take folder. Is there a way to get the take comping work with it as well?

Upvote 0
Hmm use it a lot here and its usually reliable, i'll explain my methodology so we can see where (and if) we deviate.
1- Record drum takes (usually at least 8 tracks for each, normally more)
2- In the mixer, shift select all drum tracks (you can do each individually if you want!)
3- From the group pull-down set all to group 1 (for example)
4- Select editing (with phase accurate audio) and deselect all other options
5- Dbl click the take folder (or use triangular expanding doodad)
6- Click + drag to select the bits for one track's take comp and all the others should mirror it (obviously only the grouped ones!)

Is this what you're talking about or am i on the wrong track? (no pun intended, seriously)

Upvote 0
It's weird, I've tried assigning groups to them before and it hasn't worked, and just now it didn't work straight away but after leaving and coming back it did. Maybe some kind of bug?

Upvote 0
Back