Logic Pro 9 Clef changing causing trouble?

David51

Logician
HI all, I have a score with 5 staves and the 3rd one I must have a viola[alto] clef. However, when I click on the clef and choose alto[viola] the next two lower clefs both change to viola too, now I don't mind violas but 3 staves are too many-this isn't a Louis 14th Opera Orchestra.

Does any one know how to get 9.1.1 to do what it should? or a different manner to approach this problem?

I have found the solution-in the lower of the two Parameter boxes,after selecting the track, you can change the clef at the very bottom where it says 'style' select the clef from the pop up list and it affects only that track.

Upvote 0
You can also do this in the score editor (sounds like you're doing this in the arrange) by selecting staff/track and changing the staff style in the inspector (first item). Also be aware that if multiple parts share the same staff style, any edits to one staff style will affect the others. The most common problem is adjusting the distance between parts. It's a bit time consuming on the front end, but the best way to deal with this is to create duplicate styles (one for each part) so they function independently.

Upvote 0
Thank you Doug! How do I create a duplicate of each stave? I am doing most things in the score-even copy paste has started to do what I tell it to do. there is still a bug I can't figure out:when mouse inserting dotted notes no dot shows up, any idea what is going on?[URL=http://img.skitch.com/20100326-kkbmdy3g5n4rqsky93anch29g1.jpg.

Upvote 0
Two ways (at least). Long click on the staff style (treble, bass, whatever it says) and you get a pop-up menu. At the bottom it says duplicate. Select that. Or simply double click on the staff style and you'll get the staff styles edit box. You can figure it out from there. Be sure to give any duplicates a unique name, even if it's just a numerical appendage (viola 01, viola 02, etc.)

The score editor is actually pretty useful, I think it's worth the effort to learn it.

Upvote 0
Welcome for replies.

I don't think I can give you a solution for your last problem. I've never seen the missing dot issue, nor in a quick test can I recreate it. It's possible it's a screen redraw issue or perhaps a corrupt file.

Upvote 0
Doug, Thanks for the reply. I can tell you how to duplicate this problem:in a new 2/4 time score[or it may work on an existing one] set the Q to 1/16 and try to mouse drag a dotted 8th note from part box to first beat-the dot will disappear unless the Q is changed to a binary that has a numerator divisible by 3, the default in the score is nota fraction, so it almost always has to be adjusted-finding the correct one is difficult for me.[Prischl-pp55]

Upvote 0
Ok, I did all that and I get a quarter note if I just add a single note, the Q didn't matter. But what does matter is that interpretation not be selected. (You can choose to affect the track in the parameter box, or you can work with individual notes.) If interpretation is off, I get the dotted eighth note regardless of Q setting.

I'm using Leopard 10.5.8 - maybe you're using 10.6 and that's the problem?

And to educate me, what is "nota fraction"?

Upvote 0
I have always turned Interpretation off as I prefer to interpret the music myself. I'm using 9.1.1 in 10.5.8 and waiting for the 3rd party plug-ins to get 64 versions out. If you get an 8th note with the default setting then Prischls' book is finally ou dated. I should read his newest addendum-he is very good so that might be in there. A nota is a sign of old age-hit the wrong key. Here is a screenshot from SmartScore Xs' "note attribute pop up seen when you double click on any notr=note
http://img.skitch.com/20100327-dt895uw2sqtqm1ns8m7aqedkbg.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi David,

Your dot problem intrigues me....
When I drag a dotted 1/8th note in as you say, I get just that - a dotted 1/8th note with a 1/16th rest after it.

I'm using Logic 9.1.1 in Mac OS10.6.2 by the way. I have Interpretation off for that track, otherwise it shows as a 1/4 note.

I can't reproduce what you have in your screen shot. Your beaming makes me wonder where exactly the notes are though (in time) - are the 2nd and 3rd notes in bar 1 just unbeamed?

Regards - Colin

Upvote 0
And nota fraction sounds such like a classical music term that I never got around to learning..... you could have had me going there, if you'd have chosen.

Colin, thanks for confirming behavior and good observation about the lack of beaming on the last two 16ths. Maybe a user rest or hidden note involved?

Upvote 0
Hi David,

Looking at the original score, I see what you're going for. Looking at your earlier screenshot, my rough guess is that you placed the 16th note g on the 3rd semi instead of the 4th.
In other words, you should have:
clip01.png

but you might have:
clip02.png

That would result in the missing dot, followed by a lone semi, which may be unbeamed.

Just a thought.....

Upvote 0
Hi David,

Looking at the original score, I see what you're going for. Looking at your earlier screenshot, my rough guess is that you placed the 16th note g on the 3rd semi instead of the 4th.
Thanks very much,Colin. I don't understand what g's you are seeing-both parts are in Bass clef

In other words, you should have:
clip01.png

but you might have:
clip02.png

That would result in the missing dot, followed by a lone semi, which may be unbeamed.

I did start at bar two because of the upbeat in solo part, the first missing dot was corrected by changing the default division, and I just opened logic to check and the interpretation was again turned on, I must find the switch that stops interpretation from returning, also my first dot has ran off, Sunday break? tried other divisions but no joy-that dot has left the building until I find out how to correct this feature, I want to try out what you said about one 16th being on the 3rd division when it should be on the fourth but since I see no G's at all?? to simplify-the the first beat is a dotted 8th with beamed 16th, the second half of the bar[bar 2,bar 0 is present for the upbeat]has 4 16ths, the first and third 16th are dotted-so the 2nd and fourth 16th should be 32nd's. I am sure the Quantize divisions are the solution but it surprises me that this old situation regarding length hasn't been up dated with a choice to read in the yellow box the position in normal musical terms-must be the way of thinking when developing this editor wasn't using traditional music terms, the same can be said of PC terminology-the guys who had to name the new things used bad grammer and now it's there we can't change it. I was extremely grateful when you sent the event list of another piece after recording it on a keyboard, just a thought.

Just a thought.....
Thanks again for the help, let me know if you find the 3 g's
Sincerely, David

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Sorry - senior moment.
I was focusing so much on the timing, I forgot the bass clef. I meant Bb not G of course. Nota problem really. :tongue:

I took the first 2 bars of your top bassoon line:
clip03.png

I inputted all notes from the part box and get this:
clip04.png

Note that the 1/16ths in the second bar are not marked as triplets in the original, but clearly they must be. Triplet markings were often omitted in old music when it was apparent that they could only be triplets.

The event list looks like this:
clip05.png

Note that the 1/32 notes are on x x x 121 and not 161 as in your event list.
Triplets are commonly are found on x x x 81 and 161 as you can see from the ones in the next bar.

Hope this makes sense and helps a little.....

Upvote 0
Thank you sooooo much Colin. You are so very kind to help so much,I may even learn the score editor if this goes on longer. What was the Quantization set to when you inputted that passage? It makes perfect sense and as I said helps tremendously. If you keep saving my a%^$* I will have to return to practicing the Akai EWI4000 so I can record these pieces-if this kind of music interests you I'll mail an aiff CD or email mp3s as a thank you.
PS: I still return to the first event list you made for me and it is incredibly helpful still.

Upvote 0
Back